TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...

i have a typhoon intake 70mm throtelbody/spacer cold air intake msd disributer 6al box wires and coil also UD pullies ac eliminator what heads and cam should i get?

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
gt-40 perhaps

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dont really have a budget just want the best... im lookin to do this on a fresh 347 short block too forgot to mention that

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My car with a very similar setup.

347, GT40 Heads, and Ecam = 235 through the automatic

347, AFR165, and same Ecam = 295 through the automatic.

No other changes, that is through a stock throttle body btw, and the junk MAC short tube headers. On spray it makes 415 to the tires. With 5 season old 18" drag radials 12.23 at the shootout last year.

This year I have 275 ET street radials, and have matched the 12.23 with only 5 passes on the tires......

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ill be sure to get pics of the rear going in! its not that big of a job the car is getting a narowed rear frame and tubs as well

i dont see how its so far fetched... its not like its never been done...and since i have the sold axle and my buddy runs a fab shop it only makes sense...

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I was running 3.73 for many years. I dropped down to 3.55s last season and on spray have not lost anything. I have also picked up MPH. Im pretty happy with them.

Chris

·
Registered
131 Posts
What kind of budget are you working with?

That was the best reply so far, the budget is critical. You can slap together a junk 347 for $1500 of used stuff, or spend $6000 easily.

For anything but a stock engine, don't install any off the shelf cam. The only good reason to save $100 or so with an OTS cam is if you are selling the car and being cheap.

Find a trusted cam designer, not the major manufacturers. Any proper custom cam made for the vehicle and engine should get you over 400hp with a 347. With the right heads, intake and matching cam/valvetrain, 400rear wheel horsepower is easy.

So, stop for a second, or a day, and digest the suggested horsepower levels you read in this thread so far. Do you want to make 250hp, or do you want 400+hp?

FYI, that intake is too small for a 347, skip the small 5500-6500 rpm intakes. Buy a real intake, the big stuff. Get a TFS "R" intake or a Victor Jr. etc. Your shift point can or will be 6000rpm or more. Don't choke the 347 engine with the long runner small port intakes.

The AFR heads are not the best, they are very good but not nearly the best. They are also not the best for the money, which should be very important(budget).

Buy a custom cam, after you decide on the heads, and intake, gearing, fuel, trans, clutch/stall, etc.

From what I've learned the best heads to look at are TFS high ports, Canfield(high port same design), the Ford version(Z304), or TFS fast as cast, or Twisted Wedge. Those are all equal and/or better than AFR, and under the Cleveland heads which only top dog race cars use.

Find a cam designer(I prefer Jay Allen), and consult with him about the heads and the whole combination. I wrote this much because it sounds like the OP has the means to do it right.

Don't listen to the bargain advertisements and myths about big horsepower, Only listen to the pros, meaning don't take my word for it, talk to Jay. Regards,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow thank you soooooo much... i dont want to put crap togeather... i want to make the most power out of what im working with... i was thinking about putting a worked 460 in... but... then i have to worry about the trans and i already have a worked aod and i have a 5spd and petals... so thatwill be a choice later on... i want the car done rite the first time... i dont mind dropping the cash... and i want a narowed solid axle for ovious reasons... more rubber! and since its going to cost me as much for that as it would to build a better IRS 400 rwhp is an awsome goal to moove this heavy beast... thank you for your great answer.... verry helpful... only question is do i call the cam designer and ask him what he thinks i should do as far as the heads or do i decide on heads and then call him and tell him what i have?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd suggest going to the site for Camshaft Innovations, and sending Jay an email about your car. Tell him what you have and what parts you were deciding on. He is not going to give away cam specs or certain details without a formal data sheet that is available on the site. Meaning you can ask general questions about his products etc, but when you are ready to commit to the work, fill out the data sheet or build sheet and send that to him.

Give him an idea of the kind of power you are looking for, the rpm range you intend, and whether it is or has to be carbureted or fuel injected. Go at it slowly until you and he knows that you are serious. When he has the build sheet and knows your plans, then he can recommend the best heads to reach the goals. He knows which heads work better for an application, so suggest what you like, but be willing to heed his advice. If you can get him to do the heads, then he can send the heads complete with the heads, with no extra parts or machine work to do.

Jay works well with a well known builder in his same town, Woody of Ford Strokers. They build a bunch of complete engines, or any stage up to it. I got my 347 from them, the cost was less than anywhere else of really high quality. It's a bargain for what it is, mine is complete with the rockers on, pushrods and cam, all done, no adjustments needed. Check them out and see what you can do. Regards,

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
best bang for the buck is RHS heads they actually have one of the best combustion chamber designs on the market right now for small block fords far superior than the afr's and very close to the trick flows. People get all bent out of shape and hop on the afr bandwagon but those heads should only be used for strictly racing they are uneffecient and won't burn as well as the rhs's which have similiar performance.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Save yourself some time, money, and headache and go buy a Fox Mustang, drop a 460 in it, tub it, spray some NAWZ and be done with it.

Seriously though you need to determine the final applicaton and then build your setup around it. Not try to build an engine setup based on what intake manifold you have.

Cam and head selection is one of the most complicated choices that has to be made when building an engine. And a bad decision can make the difference between a beast and a dog.

And always: Cheap, Fast, Reliable – Pick Two!

But just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i speak from experience so don't nobody try to correct me thats why i bought the el cheapo rhs heads for my 408 when i had a $5k budget just for heads only spent a 5th of that
How can you speak from experince about AFR vs RHS when you don't have the motor running yet and haven't tried a set of comparable AFR heads on the motor ?

David

·
Registered
131 Posts
i speak from experience so don't nobody try to correct me thats why i bought the el cheapo rhs heads for my 408 when i had a $5k budget just for heads only spent a 5th of that
DA, as just mentioned you don't know what you are talking about. None of the heads that you have heard of are race only.

The RHS is nothing special, and neither is the AFR head design. The TFS High Ports are special, and not race only(one example).

The cam is ten times more important than you think it is, and it needs to be designed for the heads, the engine, the vehicle, and all other details. Mixing parts, and your RHS or AFR heads, you will make easily 50hp less than a custom cam and TFS TW/HP/FAC, Canfields(just to name a few better heads than the RHS/AFR stuff).

As I suggested once, stop bench racing, find a competent custom cam maker, and get help there for head choices and everything else. They know what works best, you do not. I don't know either, but at least I know that I don't know. That's why I get professional help, and have more than 1HP/CI. Regards,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts