TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already tried wd40 and powerwashing it. It barely touched it. I dont know if it was because it was baked on or what. Can I just use paint thinner or is the 15" 96 rims clear coated?

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I already tried wd40 and powerwashing it. It barely touched it. I dont know if it was because it was baked on or what. Can I just use paint thinner or is the 15" 96 rims clear coated?
Are you sure its pastidip vs powdercoating?
Plastidip will barely hold up to anything -- the whole idea is that it sticks to itself more than the underlying material.
Any solvent or abrasian shouold make short work of it.
if its powdercoating, the two solutions are heat (bad idea b/c of warpage and messing up the underlying material properties) OR media blasting (what you should do).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
No matter how old plasti dip is it should still peal in some respect. May be difficult but it will.

But on the same token, power washing and WD will not touch plasti dip at all. You have to physically peal it or get a plasti dip specific remover.

If its not coming off, its another coating.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I know for sure its plastidip because I am friends with the previous owner. I read elsewhere that the WD40 trick would work. I have also read that bug, sap, and tar remover would work. It seems like it is baked on. I am going to try spraying a thick coat over it and then peel it off as a last resort. I was told that the thicker it is, the easier it is to peel off. I apparently get my information in the wrong places but these are my new ideas.

·
Super Moderator
7,973 Posts
Once plastidip has been on there a while, it is a royal PITA to get it off! I had sprayed my whole car with it as a temporary measure to cover fading paint, and 2 years later when I was ready to paint it, I was cursing myself for doing it in the first place. Ultimately paint thinner was the only thing that worked, but even that took some time. I ended up having to scrub it off with rags soaked in paint thinner, as that was the only thing that worked. I tried peeling it by hand, wd40, the official dip dissolver, mineral spirits, power washer, goo-gone, hell I even tried hitting it with 180 grit sandpaper on a DA, and all that did was immediately clog the paper up.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,013 Posts
My experiences with Plastidip doesn’t melt into itself like lacquer paint coats, so you won’t be making it thicker respraying so much as you’d be adding another layer to the layer that doesn’t want to budge.

As Mike said, it gets stronger with time, and on wheels(due to the proximity of the brakes) and engine components the heat does harden it with time preventing the “peel off” gimmick it promises.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh boy, looks like I am going to be using paint thinner. The spots where I did take it off look really good though. Is there clearcoat on the stock rims I will be taking off?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
What Matt said is good advice. The factory paint is going to be stronger than anything that sprays out of a rattle can. Don't be afraid to go at it hard. I have even used brake cleaner to take off stubborn stains

1 - 9 of 9 Posts