TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What tires are best for front wth wider on back

I have the stock 96 wheels but i have 245-60-15 tires all around. The back tires look fine and have plenty of tred left. I need to replace the front tires but I would like to go to a smaller tire but still 15 inch. Something similar to the 1980s Buick Grand Nationals, Monte Carlos and even some Fox-body Mustangs. What narrower size 15 inch tire would be best to put on front while I keep 245-60-15s on back? 225-60-15s maybe?

I can't afford all new bling wheels and tires at this time. I just need to replace the 2 front tires for now but with something narrower and lighter. BTW, the car does NOT get driven in snow or ice.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
Why do you want to go with a narrower size in front?

You could go back to the stock 205/70/15 in front.

You can play with sizes at the miata tire size calculator.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why do you want to go with a narrower size in front?

You could go back to the stock 205/70/15 in front.

You can play with sizes at the miata tire size calculator.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

1) With a body kit and those wide tires on the front, its really hard to get a hydraulic jack under it

2) it would maybe get a little more weight off the front during racing (that additional weight would be shifted to the back during takeoff to get better traction to the rear wheels. They spin too much.

3) i can't imagine those wider heavier tires on the front are good for the rack & pinion, control arms, etc on the front suspension I wouldnt think. Isn't it extra strain on the suspension?

I don't want to put stock tires on the front because the front tires being 70s vs the backs being 60s, wouldnt that make the front end higher than the back end because there is more rubber from rim out with a 70 as opposed to a 60?

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
The middle number is aspect ratio only, it doesn't dictate how tall a tire is. It tells you how tall the sidewall is as a percentage of how wide the tire is. The wider the treadwidth, the smaller the sidewall ratio needs to be to maintain wheel height. E.g. 205-70-15 means the sidewall is 70% as high as the tread is wide, or .7 * 205mm = 143.5mm, or a total of 287mm total sidewall diameter. The overall tire diameter is the total sidewall diameter added to the rim diameter. 287mm = 11.3 in + 15 in = 26.3" tall.

The rear size you said of 245-60-15 has a sidewall of 147mm which translates to a tire height of 26.6".

When sizing tires the general rule is that you have to decrease sidewall ratio as you increase treadwidth for a given rim size in order to maintain overall tire height (which is necessary to ensure wheel fitment and speedometer accuracy).

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I'm running 215-65-15's all around. It's ever so slightly shorter than stock, which is 215-70-15.

Remember that when you buy only 2 new tires, you need to put them on the rear.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I don't really drive the car that much. One of the back tires is only 5 months old. Tread is fine on rear tires. I take the car out maybe once or twice a week.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
so in your opinions, which would be better for the front, stock 215-70-15s or 225-60-15s keeping 245-60-15s on back?
If you are going to stagger them, between the two .... I'ld go with 215/70-15 up front if I wanted near same diameter and no tire induced rake ...

... I'ld go with 225/60-15 though if I valued response to steering and didn't mind some rake .... maybe I lower rear to eliminate the rake and tuck them 245/60-15s up into the rear fenders some?

I'm running 215-65-15's all around. It's ever so slightly shorter than stock, which is 215-70-15.
Yep, my '95 came with 215/70-15 tires on it's OEM fan blades ... but my '92 Sport originally came with 215/65-15 size tires on it's 15x6.5 wheels .... I have since swapped to 16x7 with 225/60-16 on both.

While I do install them on the same axle when installing just two tires ... I place them on the front unless the other two on the front were already near new .... and with over 30 years as a state LEO, I can tell you high speed handling is much better that way. Whole lot easier to point a loose front end than trying to chase a loose rear end.
I never would place 1/2 worn tires on the front to put new on the back if all 4 are same type and size. I only ever did so when using staggered sizes like on my '67 Chevelle or '65 GTO "way back when" or like when using snow tires in winter.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts