TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the pics of 4 cams bird and they are awesome. what is the best way to go on the engine upgrade? I am seriously looking to do an engine swap early next year.

How much do the Mark engines make and what years to get. facts and info so I can get an idea of what I am talking about. sounds like the Mark motor is the way to go but I don't know. that's why I am asking.

Mike:confused:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
youll have to read into his previous posts to find out what exactly he had to do. it wasnt exactly a simple swap, but he was able to grab some of the key parts for a good price. mark viii power ranged anywhere from 260 to 280 (i think) which isnt necessarily better than a 99gt engine. there is more potential in the quad cam engine though, the heads just plain flow better than the SOHC heads.

the 99 will be easier for most people, it doesnt require modification to the wiring at all. the only things that stop a 99 engine from bolting right up in place of the 96+ tbird 4.6 are the motor mounts and the flexplate. pretty easy to fix though. there are other things that need to be done, but nowhere near as involved as the DOHC mark engine.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
which is better?????

Well that depends on what you want to do in the long run.I have a 96 T-Bird and have owned a Lincoln Mark VIII.I loved the Mark but I was limited to power adders,something broke,it was always $$$$ for Lincoln parts or 32 valve parts in general.It all boils down to what you want to do and the amount of money you want to spend.The 32 valve is basically a drop in but there is the fact of wiring it up,are you good at that?I am not so I would go with the GT motor.I am going to build up a Mark VIII block but am going to use the PI heads and so forth.Things just seem simplier with the 2 cam compared to the 4 cam.I am not knocking the 4 cam but I have access to one but here I am going to build a 2 cam insted.
Just my opinion,godd luck at whatever you do and I hope it works out well for you,
Chris

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. it will be a while before I do this but I would like to start getting info now. I do not plan to put a blower and all that but I would like a better engine than what was put in it(94). I have 110,000 so I feel it is in the future a new engine is aha.....

thanks,
mik

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
161,000 on my 94 and Johnny Langton has us both beat on a newer motor!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
280 HP on the early Marks, 290 on the first LSC's and all of the newer Mark's. I saw scanned time slips showing over a .3 gain in the quarter on a 93 Mark with new exhaust though, yeah, conditions very, I am sure conditions for the new exhaust were better because it was closer to .4 then .3 but the Mark motor is still problaby more restricted from the factory than the GT. There is A LOT of wiring there though on mine any how, if you had a 96-97 using a 96-98 Mark motor the wiring should be cut down quite a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts