TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to know what people think is fair in a non-professional drag race. I think the car should be street legal, capable of being a daily driver, in the same configuration when on the street as when at the drag strip, and run on pump gas.

Super/Turbo-charging? I think its ok as long as they run the same boost all the time.

NOS? No. The race shouldn't be about who is more willing to destroy their engine to win.

Programmable computer module? Only if street mode is used to improve gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I agree with you. I think NOS is absolutely stupid. I mean, it is neat to get that extra boost when you need it, but to rely on it during a race completely takes away the whole purpose of racing. It's not about who's got more NOS and money to waste, but who can build the better car.

I'm sure some people who like NOS will disagree with me. It's just not my bag o' chips.

·
The Parts Guy
7,424 Posts
As far as "programmable computer module" goes, both my DOHC 90 XR7 and my Splitport 94 LX run chipped/reflashed EEC's. Neither car will run correctly without them, but they certainly aren't set up for improved gas mileage. Also, the 94 has the option of switching tunes for 87 and 93 octane fuel. Without incriminating myself here, I'll just say that if I'm planning on running someone, you better believe that I'll be running the 93 octane tune. ;)

I'm more of the "run whatchya brung" kind of guy. If the other guy wants to run a little spray to keep up, no big deal. It's only damaging his engine, not mine (though nitrous can certainly be run safely without causing excessive wear). :tongue:

-Rod

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By programmable computer module I mean one that you can change to two or more modes mapping fuel and ignition curves for either economy or hp.

For a guy who works for my dad has a '04 Lightning with an upgraded supercharger, huge injectors, ported heads, ect... It has everything! When he hit the strip he switches the computer to the highest hp setting (somewhere around 480hp) and he gets 8mpg, the economy setup is around 440hp and he gets more like 12 mpg. This was seriously the fastest vehicle I have ever been in. I think he said low 10's.

You probably didn't need to hear(read) all that but everytime I tell the story it brings a smile to my face because it was so fun!

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
First off, it's not NOS, it's N2O. NOS is a vendor who sells N2O parts. With that outta the way (cause someone was bound to say it), I say whatever you bring, let er rip. If you wanna argue being fair, don't drag the guy if you think he's gonna win. If you make compromises it leaves room for "oh that wasn't fair because..." I'd rather know that I flat out whooped someone when they gave all they had to give, though given I have a stock NA 3.8, I won't be whooping much... yet ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
hey hey Falcon my Super coupe whold beat you n/a anyday!!!!! But i think N20 is stupid "use it and you will have to rebuild your engine sooner then you think" My buddie was useing it and he blew a hole right threw his blockj with a rod on a engine with no more then 30 miles on it LMAO!

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Everything follows one simple rule: The greater something has potential for good, the greater the potential for bad it also has. I didn't say N2O is bad, it's safe and effective if used correctly. And yes, almost any car will beat my N/A. Again, it's naturally aspired and a stock 3.8. Give me a few years til I can get my car done the way I'd like it to be, and you won't even touch me :tongue:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Falcon5783 said:
First off, it's not NOS, it's N2O. NOS is a vendor who sells N2O parts. With that outta the way (cause someone was bound to say it)much... yet ;)
Let's keep it friendly. NOS is a coined term I used so people would know what I'm talking about. If you want to get technical you spell it Nitrogen-Oxide. I will refer to it as N2O if that makes you feel better.

I see your point but I think of N2O as fighting dirty. If you're running it that means I have to run it to be competitive. Its like taking steroids for athletics or bringing a gun to a fist fight. If Billy wants to take steroids thats fine but if he gets the spot on the team because I don't want to destroy my body too thats not cool. If you want to run N2O let everyone know you have it and race with others that have it too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The only way a 3.8L NA will be fast is if its replaced! Its funny beacuse I just got rid of a 99 Kia that would smoke my Thunderbird in the quarter and was more reliable too. The thunderbird does have some somfy seats though.

Take my advice Falcon5783. Buy another car if you want to go fast, but keep your tbird so you can continue to bull**** with us.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Speed Demon, go put your info here :)

You can make any car go fast (well, most). You can make any car look good (well, most). Point being, I like playing with the bird cause they're rare. How many mustangs do you see on the road? How many mustangs that look nice? How many mustangs do you see that (attempted) to look "nice" and came out like crap? Way too many, don't care cause they're mustangs, and a bunch. How many tbirds do you see on the roads period?

If I had the $, I'd probably go buy a pinto, make it a whole helluva lot safer, and play around with it, JUST because nobody's done it

Anywho, back on topic. If someone wants to negotiate not to use N2O, that's their call, I guess I'd just wanna know I beat someone without any shadow of a doubt, with no excuses, knowing their absolute best wasn't enough

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like your style. I agree that most any car can look good as long as its done right. Its like girls and make-up. I've had a couple that looked absolutely gorgous that night but when you see them in the morning without the make-up, holy ****! Paint and nice wheels do wonders for a car.

Sorry if I offended any women readers, if it makes you feel any better I look terrible without my make-up too. Just kidding... I look fabulous!

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
dudes, its not NOS or N2O, its NAWWWWWWS

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd 2 tha naaaaawwwwwwwwwwws

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heres a good example of a usually ugly car that looks great. This 1978 Camaro was my 1st project car. I was 17 then.

Its also the fastest car I have ever driven. I bought it for the drivetrain, it was completely gone through and setup as a street/drag car. My dad was horrified when he looked under the hood. He said a kid shouldn't have so much horsepower. I did the body, paint and interior work. It would do 160 mph and get there in a hurry.

I never ran into another car that could match it. I would have people I didn't even know who heard about it showing up on my door step asking for a ride. I didn't care because it gave me an excuse to go out and do some donuts. Absolutely golden memories!

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
this thread should be moved to either the racing forum or the misc forum, as this has nothing to do with 3.8's or 4.2's

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Litning said:
this thread should be moved to either the racing forum or the misc forum, as this has nothing to do with 3.8's or 4.2's
Maybe your right. I was just enjoying hearing from other 3.8 owners.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Speed_Demon said:
By programmable computer module I mean one that you can change to two or more modes mapping fuel and ignition curves for either economy or hp.

For a guy who works for my dad has a '04 Lightning with an upgraded supercharger, huge injectors, ported heads, ect... It has everything! When he hit the strip he switches the computer to the highest hp setting (somewhere around 480hp) and he gets 8mpg, the economy setup is around 440hp and he gets more like 12 mpg. This was seriously the fastest vehicle I have ever been in. I think he said low 10's.

You probably didn't need to hear(read) all that but everytime I tell the story it brings a smile to my face because it was so fun!
FYI: A Lightning isn't going to be in the low 10s with 480 horsepower...I'm sure it's fast, I doubt it's quite that fast at that power level though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You might be right. For some reason I was thinking 10.4 but I may be exagerating. Scratch the 1/4 time but I know it is faster then a 390 hp 2004 Cobra SVT. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I agree with most of your opinion on the first post. I personally usually consider N20 the car version of Steroids. It's not something there at all times and doesn't reflect the actual power of the car or person using it. And my goal is to get a car fast and reliable with the same power at any given time.
But I think as long as both participants have the same goals in mind and ideas about how to get there then whatever they do is fine. I just hate it when a person says that something is not fair or whatever. You gotta step back and say what is that person's goals and what are my goals, realistically. See, then that gives you an acceptance to what they do and some respect for their work and a good person would do the same back even if their car is the one with N20 and yours isn't, and even if the goals are different. A friend of mine who is an old time hotrodder respects my car in a way because of the work I have done and how much I have gotten out of it from stock form. But it can't touch his 66' nova with a built 355. That mutual respect and just having fun is what drag racing is all about.

Wow, did I just say all that. Ah heck, who cares. Who ever gets to the end first wins :D ;)

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Street Racing is stupid and will not be a part of this forum or this website. No more talk of street racing...period.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.