TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a huge fan of the AOD transmission and want to know what it would take to swap in a C-4 automatic in place of the failing AOD in my 85 tbird 5.0? I ask this because the 5.0 is not the factory engine, and has been built up slightly. It is a roller cam HO engine from an 89 5.0 Stang. I think I need to get a special flywheel, torque converter, and possibly a custom crossmember and driveshaft.

Does anyone know of a good source for these parts? Any advice?

Thanks

Phil

·
Registered
180 Posts
Properly set up the AOD is a fine tranny, for an everyday driver its hard to beat, even some chevy guys are buying adapters to put them in GM products. Before you make such a decision drive around a few days not using overdrive to see how you are going to like your car without it.........Dan

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
Flywheel Same.
Starter Same.
Trans Mount Same.
Gearing Different. (you will loose OD, it will be liked driving around in D all day)
Driveshaft? Find get one from an 84' 3.8 L, (this had a C5, same length as C4)
Crossmember, Not sure, i would grab from 84 3.8L w/C4 as well..

My Car orginaly had a 3.8L/C5 swapped for 5.0L/C5, Blew C5, Did Direct Swap to C4, now running 4r70w.

NOTE!!!! you must have the correct late model bell housing.. I believe you need one that was common on the 250 I6 ? I have pictures of Correct Bell Housing if you need them.... I took a C4 to my Trans Guy for build up, and he said it had the wrong 302 bellhousing, he got me the correct one i needed..

If the C4 is was prev used on a Roller Motor 302 with external balance, then it has the correct Bellhousing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts