TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a better idea for a cheap intake system on a 94'/95 v8. I dont dig the civic thing because the cone filter isn't worth the money in that tube kit and the tubes get hot. I have already decided to go ahead with shadowdragon's mustang tube idea and the ram air tube I saw on www.mn12tbird.com. The price is why I went that route and because I hate that violin case so much and this seems logical using an actual tube meant for an intake. Has anyone done this other than shadowdragon? I am waiting on the tube and a k & n panel filter to come to assemble it. I didnt pay full price for the filter either so its a bargain at about $50 for the tube, filter, and pieces for the cold air scoop and tube mods. Can anyone tell me if they liked the results or is there anything that can be said about it. I dont want to bother with anything metal that gets hot or custom stuff its just not worth the money on this engine imho. I haven't even begun construction but can anyone tell me any down side to this? I dont mean to rant but this is like one of my 2 'big' mods planned as I can't afford to throw a lot of money into the car just for more power so its something I've been looking forward to doing.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
well first off anything is going to get hot under the hood...even the stock plastic will get hot its just a matter of hwo much heat it retains...the reason i dont like the mustang way is because the civic tube looks cleaner. also you can have an exhaust shop bend u up a tube. on a 94/95 its not the easiest thing but it is very possible to do. people have had good setups with the civic tube being the closest to "custom" intake you can do and buy it off the shelf.

in the end anything you do really wont do alot for performance, yes it will improve but not to get drastic gains from it. if if you dont have exhaust redone then its even less."more air in and more air out=more HP" as a general saying.

but technically any plastic intake setup will be better than a metal(civic) one just going by heat retaining ability but either set up will not net you any great gains. most do it for looks. but any way you can get the air to the engine quicker and more free flowing will help.

hope anything i said helped you.

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i does thanks. I have also a plan for the exhaust to be cheaply redone. I already chopped off the mufflers but depending on if this person I know can help me make an exhaust or not I just might be redoing the down pipes into the resonator and removing 2 of the cats. Thats my other big mod planned :)

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
ok glad i can help, another thing to keep in mind is that a CAI and exhaust will only get you so much in the "more air in and more air out=more HP" theme. the other restriction is the heads to have them ported out to also increase flow but thats a whole other can of worms and cash lol

but yes to be basic, a better flowing intake tube and less restriction of exhaust will be beneficial for the motor to run better and more efficiently to some extent(couple HP if that and little better gas mileage)

goodluck in your mods

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
well i forgot to mention the "cool factor" :)

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah The next step I want to do after 'play time' is to under take the PI/tranny etc etc etc swap, but yeah for best results change out the 20th century drive train with 21st century parts. Instead of going for power I went for handling and repair as my direction and I'm I did everytime I fly around a corner. So right now its just intake/exhaust with small repairs like the window drive gear and hinges and adding a better head unit and subs. When I'm ready the car will be ready for the power upgrade too hopefully

Not for children under 12. Do not take more than 6 in 24 hours.
And use as directed, and in case of swallowed or contact with eyes call a physician and flush eyes immediately.

·
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And yes the loud factor is cool to me lol sorry I am one of the obnoxious ones but where I live its trucks with strait pipes everywhere so no one cares. I will be doing more work really soon I can't wait.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Replace everything under the intake tube. That's the mod I found to give the best result.
Sorry I am new to this, my issue is the top plastic part is partly cracked (where it connects to the engine) then where the filter is is completely cracked and I have it on there the best I can.

So no company is making after market for this ? I was told Injen makes one for the T-Bird but I see nothing on the site. I thought about the Mustang model. I have a 95

thanks for any info

·
Registered
320 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Your set up looks great.

Thanks I think it looks much better than that thing the factory calls an intake.

Where in MO are you?

I'm in Branson Missouri. You know the Country Music Show capital of the world. Yeah it sucks!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
ipsd1 said:
I'm in Branson Missouri. You know the Country Music Show capital of the world. Yeah it sucks!
LOL Well, you may think it sucks, but you could make a killing renting any extra space you've got out to other TCCoA members, or have a meet there! (Yea, I like Branson)

·
Registered
320 Posts
LOL Well, you may think it sucks, but you could make a killing renting any extra space you've got out to other TCCoA members, or have a meet there! (Yea, I like Branson)
I would have to have Extra space to be able to rent it out. Besides if you wanted to rent space you can find it you just have to know where to look. I'm about 5-10min from Silver Dollar City so you can imagine the traffic that I see down here. Actually it isn't to bad. Just make is seem seem worse than it is. Don't care for the music shows.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

i just built my own out of 3" aluminized pipe that i got out of an exhaust shop scrap bin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts