TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 4.6 has 85,000 miles on it, and it runs fantastic...fires up immediately, runs smooth, etc.

It does, however, leak oil. I'm not sure where the leak is coming from. I use maybe one quart a month.

Would one of the "complete PI head and intake swap" kits be a good idea for the engine? Would new top end parts cause bottom end failure?

I'm tempted to order a 4.6 from an explorer or mustang off of greenleaf, but I'm not sure if I will get a good engine or a POS that is near death...It seems that the cost is close to the same...what is my best option?

thanks

Earl

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Check the rear main area between the oil pan and the bellhousing for a leak. If the oil is coming out there, a headswap isn't gonna fix anything unless you pull the motor and replace the leaky rear.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the rear main area between the oil pan and the bellhousing for a leak. If the oil is coming out there, a headswap isn't gonna fix anything unless you pull the motor and replace the leaky rear.
I understand that the headswap won't fix the oil leak...it's not the rear main, and to answer the other question, yes, I'm sure it's leaking, as I have oil under the car most of the time...

ANYWAY...

Would it be smarter to fix the oil leaks and do a PI swap, or get a used complete PI engine? That is my question.

thanks

earl

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Also something to keep in mind... When I got my 94 it did not have regular oil changes. The oil scraper rings on the pistons were caked up with burnt old oil this was with like 135k on it. If you do pull the heads, might as well pull the pistons and "refresh" with a new set of rings while you are at it. Mine smoked all the time (not too bad) because of this, and even more on startup....damn old school valve seals. Even cooler idea with less problems is the engine swap route. I love my PI explorer engine. You will be pleased with one of these versus your stocker.

-Rob

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
I understand that the headswap won't fix the oil leak...it's not the rear main, and to answer the other question, yes, I'm sure it's leaking, as I have oil under the car most of the time...

ANYWAY...

Would it be smarter to fix the oil leaks and do a PI swap, or get a used complete PI engine? That is my question.

thanks

earl
Most likely oil under the car means it isn't getting past the valve seals because then it goes out the exhaust. The rear main and oil pan gasket, along with the filter/water outlet are the most likely areas to leak. Get under there and look really well.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
My advice: Identify the problem first and then make a decision to repair or upgrade based on the cost/hassle of the repair vs. what you want.

For example if it is a rear main leaking, then an Explorer swap would probably be the route to go since either way you have to break the engine and tranny apart. Whereas if it is a front main seal leaking all it takes is removing the balancer and swapping seals.

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
At 200k, the Red Cougar's major leak was the gasket where the oil filter/coolant piece meets the block.

It leaked a lot more than the valve stems ever do.

Wipe off the bottom of the engine, especially at the oil filter mount piece, drive it a bit, then look. It didn't take two miles to show it for me; I could see it running from the gap between them.

If you are going to replace the engine soon, I'd just feed it and wait... Getting the bolt(s) back in, while holding the gasket in place is a bit*h! (look at the spot your hands are going to be in... :) much easier to do with the engine out of the car.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts