TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Wait, thats the front lower control arm. Thats where the torsion bar link goes through. I was going to replace all my bushings but I just decided to get a whole new control arm with bushings in it, it was cheaper. I cant find the name of the bushing though, just looking on RockAuto...

·
Registered
485 Posts
The name of that bushing is strut rod bushing(at arm) youll need the bushing(at frame) also and it does not come with any LCA

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The name of that bushing is strut rod bushing(at arm) youll need the bushing(at frame) also and it does not come with any LCA
The strut rod bushing is the next one to the left, thats the torsion bar bushing. My new Moog control arms came with them. I would know, I put them on yesterday... :rolleyes: :tongue:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
There are no torsion bars on these cars.
The torsion bar link tension strut. Not the strut rod bushing which is next to it...

·
Registered
485 Posts
If your sway bar link is going through there you have some serious problems. I am not talking about the strut bushing, which yes is the next one down, I am talking about the gaping hole in the LCA which is where the strut ROD and bushing go. Your control arm you installed yesterday had a bushing in that hole??? Heres a pic to clarify:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If your sway bar link is going through there you have some serious problems. I am not talking about the strut bushing, which yes is the next one down, I am talking about the gaping hole in the LCA which is where the strut ROD and bushing go. Your control arm you installed yesterday had a bushing in that hole??? Heres a pic to clarify:

Maybe its all coming down to names. My Haynes manual calls it a Tension strut. Its the bar that has a dogleg in it. The dogleg is flat to put a backup wrench on to impact the gynormous nut off of it...

The strut rod (the rod with the strut on it...) is the next hole down...

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,621 Posts
Maybe its all coming down to names. My Haynes manual calls it a Tension strut. Its the bar that has a dogleg in it. The dogleg is flat to put a backup wrench on to impact the gynormous nut off of it...

The only struts on these cars are the strut rod(tension strut). The mount next to that is the SHOCK mount.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The only struts on these cars are the strut rod(tension strut). The mount next to that is the SHOCK mount.
Interesting.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yeah again, there are no torsion bars.

In the picture in post 1 from left to right: LCA to K member bushing - shock mount - strut rod bushing - ball joint.
:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts

Actually, no - you're not supposed to put ANYTHING on the flat, according to the Ford service manual.

There is only one strut on each side - the strut rod, which goes through that hole.

I suggest checking the Ford Service Manual (I picked mine up on eBay for about $20) for the actual proper manufacturer's terms, instead of the wrong terms some people toss about.

RwP

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Actually, no - you're not supposed to put ANYTHING on the flat, according to the Ford service manual.

There is only one strut on each side - the strut rod, which goes through that hole.

I suggest checking the Ford Service Manual (I picked mine up on eBay for about $20) for the actual proper manufacturer's terms, instead of the wrong terms some people toss about.

RwP
Thanks man, all I have is my Haynes manual. It said to put the back up wrench on the flat part closest to the LCA and farthest from the bend in the strut rod...

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
The Haynes manual is pretty good at times, but it's not prefekt ;)

Example: The Ford service manual says, "To do xxx, you need to use special tool 47XK6Z".

The Haynes manual will say: "To do xxx, you need to use special tool 47XK6Z. However, you can substitute a 2x4, four screws, and a rabid wombat by ... "

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
The Haynes manual is pretty good at times, but it's not prefekt ;)

Example: The Ford service manual says, "To do xxx, you need to use special tool 47XK6Z".

The Haynes manual will say: "To do xxx, you need to use special tool 47XK6Z. However, you can substitute a 2x4, four screws, and a rabid wombat by ... "
Bwahahhahaha. Here in Peoples Republic of Amerika we use special took 47XK6Z, back in Soviet Russia we use rabid wombat. :tongue:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just checked my Ford service manual and it you have to use the flat on the strut rod other wise how would you go about removing it??, it shows a picture and says keep the wrench on the flat away from the area where the bend is in the strut rod.

I geuss it could damage/bend the rod at its weakest point (the bend) and screw up the geometry idk

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The important thing is not to put divots in the metal AT the bend; you can use the flats AWAY from the bend.

If you put a big gouge there, it will form a crack at the bend, eventually.

It's called a "stress riser".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_concentration

1 - 20 of 24 Posts