TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know what it means, its basically like one of a kind, but shouldnt the term be "one-of" such as one of a kind, instead of "one-off" such as on off...

??

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I think it is something along the lines of "the only one off the assembly line".:zdunno:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
The term is used to suggest 'one time' or a ‘single instance’ of an event or occurrence in the otherwise boring chain of events in the manufacturing or creation of something. Think of the manufacturing of a part as a ‘target’ and any part that deviates from the standard or expected norm for the part would be ‘off target’ or ‘one off’.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I would agree with all of the above. It also seems to have taken the place of "custom," as it pertains to parts, since the word "custom" has become so dilluted in recent years (every asshat out there had "custom pedal covers" etc that they bought from APC for awhile).

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
I think it would mostly pertain to the actual car manufacture. Most of the time a "concept" car is considered a one-off, unless of coures it is produced. Before i get flamed, I totally know that it could also pertain to a car that was created from the ground up. But most of the time it has to do with a car manufature creating a one-off concept. There are cases such as with oil Shakes that have manufactures creating one-off cars, but we don't have billions of dollars so you can forget about putting your order in to Ford.

C.Hill

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I think it would mostly pertain to the actual car manufacture. Most of the time a "concept" car is considered a one-off, unless of coures it is produced. Before i get flamed, I totally know that it could also pertain to a car that was created from the ground up. But most of the time it has to do with a car manufature creating a one-off concept. There are cases such as with oil Shakes that have manufactures creating one-off cars, but we don't have billions of dollars so you can forget about putting your order in to Ford.

C.Hill

sheikh.....shake is what you do to a martini........and yes, they do have exotic car builders do that for the.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
The term is used to suggest 'one time' or a ‘single instance’ of an event or occurrence in the otherwise boring chain of events in the manufacturing or creation of something. Think of the manufacturing of a part as a ‘target’ and any part that deviates from the standard or expected norm for the part would be ‘off target’ or ‘one off’.
I would agree with that explanation.

furthermore i've never considered it to be an automotive industry specific term. I've always used it much more broadly then that. Anything that's a singularly existing item made specifically for a needed purpose is a "one off" item to me.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
like my steering shaft on my car is a one off item....sure, theres others like it, but the dimensions, and lentgths are different, thus making it a one off..

:tongue:

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
sheikh.....shake is what you do to a martini........and yes, they do have exotic car builders do that for the.
Shake is a one off derivative of the sheikh spelling you speak of. Forgot to note that.

C.Hill

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts