TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
On MN-12, motor and transmission swap, that was easier then changing out the left motor mount though on the 3.8L :confused:

On others, 89' Regal, 89' Grand Prix also transmission/motor swaps,

Overall I don't think there is a job that I haven't done, from transmission rebuild to engine rebuild

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have not had to do any major repairs to my bird yet....hang on I need to find some wood.......ok, now my head hurts.

My explorer, the hardest thing was replacing the radius arm bushings. When I tried to remove the shocks from the radius arm, I sheared the bolds off on both arms. The bold is pressed and welded into the radius arm. So I had to replace the radius arms on both sides. I was supprised at what they cost because I had to go to the dealer for the arms and they were only about $40 each. I expected $80-100 each.

Head gasket on a '90 Ranger 4banger.

Heater core in a '86 Mustang.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Master cylinder and brake booster on my '80 Mustang. It was quite acrobatic. I was laying with my head and shoulders under the dash with my legs stretched up the the door frame and my feet were holding onto the door frame. That's hard to explain :) . Thank God my dad was helping me. I also replaced the water pump on that 'stang, but that was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
44 Posts
head gasket on a toyota 4 cylinder.

How toyota manages to pack so many little coolant, vac, and electrical lines on such a tiny motor.

Whoever heard of 4 coolant lines going to the throttle body?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Paint prep for the bird, car was tore up. doors came off and gutted, bumpers came off, hood, mirrors, what else. roof trim, quarter windows.
I fixed rot in both rockers, and left rear qtr.
I fiixed like 20 dents, 1000's of chips, rust spots everywhere.
took me 2 weeks of up-all-nite to prep.
took me 4 hrs to paint AND bake.

AND i had the power go out on me once I finally got her in the booth.. had to just stop and finish the next day.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Heater Core in my 97 Bird....the FIRST time. It took like 20 hours because I was determined NOT to discharge my A/C. I succeeded! SECOND time (only 4 months later due to a faulty core) it only took 6 hours start to finish. MUCH easier when you know exactly where everything is and goes.

Other than that, it would be the clutch in the F250 at 100,000 miles. I didn't do the work (you HAVE to have the right tools and a lift for that beast) but it certainly hurt my wallet to the tune of about a thousand bucks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
T-bird4vr said:
Installing the S-spring back into the traction lock assembly from a rebuild.

Little sh1t like that is frustrating.
A hose clamp and vice work wonders. I had a hell of a lot more trouble getting that little c-clip off the axle.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
This blasted engine swap. We on day five (about 10-12 hrs) and its still in there, I'd say mainly becuase anit had the time all together but we 4bolts away from pulling it out (2 Bellhousing and then the mounts).

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
the tranny swap on my 95 was hard, but not nearly as hard as lowing my 93 was. I swear every damn bolt on that suspension was siezed. I had to cut off the old shocks from the lower control arm because that bolt would NOT budge. And you can be confident in my saying that I put gobs of anti-sieze on every damned bolt down there when I reassembled.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
OH I just thought of a better one. Rack and Pinion! I won't even get into details on that one. I'll just say the helping friend and I exchanged a lot of bad words on which way it should go in because nothing seemed to go right with it.
-Thomas

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
60K maint. on my SHO.

Disassemble Entire Upper Intake Manifold Assembly
• Upper Intake Runners
• Intake Plenums
• Crossover Tube
• Secondary Butterfly Assemblies
• Head Intake Ports
• Throttle Body
• Stock Airbox
• Plug Wells

Install New
• Motorcraft AGSP32PP Spark Plugs
• Motorcraft Spark Plug Wires
• Timing Belt
• Water Pump
• Thermostat
• Temp Sender
• Crank Position Sensor
• Cam Position Sensor
• Intake Manifold Assembly Gaskets
• Intake Runner-to-Head Gaskets
• Plug Well Seals
• Cam Cover Gaskets
• Front Crank Seal
• Accessory Belt(s)
• Air Filter
• Coolant (50/50)

Replace / Service
• Valve Shims
• Oil & Filter Change

AND the clutch! :ztoohot:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Believe it or not I think the toughest one was spark plugs on an early 90's Continental (V-6) The front 3 were fairly easy, the rear three.............. :ztoohot: :zbash:

·
Registered
348 Posts
The hardest project i've ever done was changing the motor mounts and p/s hoses on my borthers 89xr7. After working on that pos i swore to never buy a SC or XR7 supercharged. I could have done a v-8 conversion with less trouble than that project.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
The most physically demanding was helping a buddy of mine swap a Buick 350 into his Blazer in the middle of Summer in the sun.

The most challenging was rebuilding a TH-350. Worked though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts