TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive bought many things over the years and i know im not the only one when i think im buying something its overpriced. i know research and developmen go into them and such but still i think i got raped today.

Today i bought 7 injector o-rings and it cost me 12 bucks....i was like...really?!...how can something so simple and small cost so much? i NEEDED them seeing how my rails were leaking mad after the new injectors were put in. i needed about 5 and this place didnt sell single o-rings. So i got the "kit" and put em on. They work yea yea but still 12 bucks? Im not cheap or anything but i think that was overpriced.

When i bought a new motor mount for my swap it was about 80 bucks. it is a motorcraft brand and is hydralic filled. It looks complicated and was prolly difficult to manufactor AND the brand name makes it cost more. THAT makes sense to me. Not the o-ring situation...

Post up a part(s) that you thought you were ripped off on. (dont include body panels/ dealership tail lights or stuff we already know not to buy from)

-Mike

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think, for me, it was the metal clamps that hold the dust boots on the rear axles, it takes 4 small and 4 big clamps. My teacher told me to go to the part store and get some when I swithced the pumpkin on my car (decided it was a good idea to repack the joints since it was apart). I was expecting maybe 10-15 bucks at the most. It came out to more like $30. 5 bucks each for the big ones and 2 bucks each for the small ones. I dont know about you, but when I spend $30, I want to feel like I spent $30

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I think I have everyone beat:

The small "keys" for the early 4V camshaft gears are $50 EACH and you need a total of six!!! Yes, that was $300 for something that could be dropped down a hole the size of a pencil!! Don't ask how I know this!!! :redmad:

These things are about a 1/4" cube!!! :beek:

You can't use a regular key because the factory ones are machined so they fit in a curved keyway and the later cam gears have keys machined on them that fit into a different machining in the keyway of the camshafts (i.e. you can't swap late 4V cam gears onto an early camshaft).

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hah, In at work we have the newer style keys for the Fusions, they're like $100 a peice or something like that, then you have to pay to get them programmed too!

For a key!

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
ABS motor, for a traction control car. $2k.

-Joel

·
Registered
131 Posts
$8 for a plastic clutch pushrod retaining clip, $70 for a brass elbow to hook up my EGR on my F250 to my headers (the EGR tube itself wasn't half that) and over $140 for two front brake hoses also for the F250; all of which were dealer only items. :redmad: :rant: ....and the parts for the F250 were @ jobber price, can't fathom what walk-in price would be.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
um.. the rubber cubby insert went on here for like 150+... and coil on plugs... 50 BUCKS APIECE!!! (this is scaring me away from modern cars.)

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
1 fuel injector (really wanted to get my car going after my PI swap) $62 WTF!!!

·
Johnny Five is Alive, TCCoAAC Member
1,614 Posts
548.32 + tax for my trailblazer's fan clutch

·
Registered
663 Posts
The $250 spark plug wire replacement when I was a newb and let the dealer do it when my car was a tick over 36,000 warrantied miles. I was hoping they'd have mecy on me. They didn't.

The $350 shifter park solenoid and cable and labor to cure my "stuck in park" shifter.

The $700 cracked manifold replacement that they finally reimbursed me for.

Unfortunately, all these events happened in the dead of winter when I needed my car and I didn't have any time or anywhere to work on my car myself.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DANG!!! all these prices scare me...i know we still get discounts sometimes but even the simplist things are pricey such as a negative oem ground cable for 60+ bucks....i bought mine at autozone for 5 ^_^

1 - 20 of 35 Posts