TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
All of mine have sounded like that on cold days. New suspension or old.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Quote -"Doombuggy - How hard was it to change your sway bar bushings?"

Actually I got the poly sway bar bushings from SCP to replace while I was already gonna be doing my LCA's, having it all apart, figured might as well.
But really, pretty easy to replace, even without the whole suspension removed. I would say just need to of course remove the wheel and sway bar end links, I would suggest disconnecting UCA (also pretty easy) just to get things out of the way. Then pretty much can be unbolted from above with a socket and LONG extension, unlessy you have very small arms to squeeze in there. The bushings, with a few shots of silicone as you go, will pretty much pull & twist right off. Reverse order for new install. Pretty simple actually.
SIDE NOTE: My post above about the squeaking, after driving a day on new UCA's & sway bar bushings, drove it tonight over speed bumps, and squeaking is worse, AND on BOTH SIDES.
Now I'm thinking it IS the NEW sway bar bushings. I used some silicone spray to get them on. I don't know, gonna try lithium grease next day off.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Poly sway bar bushing will squeak. Even my greased ones squeak sometimes.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Poly sway bar bushing will squeak. Even my greased ones squeak sometimes.
I chuckle every time I see someone say poly's dont squeak. When they first came available everyone raved about 'makes for better handling but they squeak terribly!'

I'm sure composition has changed but come back in 100,000 miles and tell us they dont squeak. :tongue:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I chuckle every time I see someone say poly's dont squeak. When they first came available everyone raved about 'makes for better handling but they squeak terribly!'

I'm sure composition has changed but come back in 100,000 miles and tell us they dont squeak. :tongue:
what other bushing are there besides poly?

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
what other bushing are there besides poly?
Factory rubber.

I'm sure someone makes a Delrin bushing also, but can't point you to one.

There is no CURE for the poly squeaking, but you can HELP it by drilling for a zerk (alemite, grease fitting, whatever you want to call it) and lubing them every 3K to 5K miles.

!I! prefer a moly-lithium blend personally, it's slicker than lithium by itself.

You can find PTFE (Teflon(tm) ) lubes also.

But even a cheap lithium will help :diablo:

Still, it may squeak every so often, no matter what you do.

RwP

·
Registered
154 Posts

Wow, had no idea, just assumed that poly bushings wouldn't squeak, never installed them before. That's cool to know, thanks for the insight pettyfog!
Guess I'll have to take them back off and get some grease in there.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Wow, had no idea, just assumed that poly bushings wouldn't squeak, never installed them before. That's cool to know, thanks for the insight pettyfog!
Guess I'll have to take them back off and get some grease in there.
The reason why poly squeaks in this application is that it's too hard.

It doesn't yield, so the sway bar has to shift inside it. Which means that you've got hard metal on hard poly - which is where the squeak comes from.

Rubber's softer, so it yields slightly.

That's why you lube poly to get the squeak out.

THAT said - an occasional hit with a PTFE (Teflon(tm) generic) or moly spray will do wonders to keeping it DOWN.

RwP

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks Ralph, for the info.
Personally, I don't really mind the squeak, as I really only hear it as I'm going over speed bumps in cold weather. (used no grease on installation, didn't know I had to).:
But if there may be a problem of early wear on them due to non-lubrication, I'd appreciate any insight. If so, I gotta take that sway bar apart & do it right.

Thanks!:)

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
This squeaking/squawking, AFAIK, is primarily a noise problem, not a wear problem.

I'd still hit it with some PTFE spray every oil change, but that's me. (Actually, no - I bought the lubeable Energy Suspension parts to AVOID that squeaking! :diablo: )

BTW - the ES parts? All you have to do is unbolt the brackets and cut the old bushings off - they have a split so you can leave the end links attached. I found it darn near impossible to get my fat hands to where I could lube them, however, so when I was getting the car aligned, I had the shop lube the chassis for me. They even hit my U-joints (I was watching them!), so all in all worth it to me.

RwP

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I found the noise! Long story really short...Its comming from where the lower shock bolt connects to the LCA. The rubber must have wore prematurly when i could get them to line up after changing my springs and i was about 1/2 off, So i twisted it with a screwdriver just enough to wedge the bolt in the hole lol,.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts