TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

While washing my car the other day, I noticed the weirdest thing (maybe not so weird). As you can see in this picture, this persons "thing-a-ma-bobs boot" is cracked. Well, my boot is almost complete ripped off. What is this thing, and where can I purchase a new one!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
That would be the very well known "Upper Ball Joint Boot" thet everyone talks about. :D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Grasshopper said:
My passenger side looks like that...sigh.
Mine too.... double sigh

Rob

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so are these little boogers hard to install? I was thinking about installing them when I do my springs. Might as well, right?!

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
488 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
A 18mm gear wrench is your friend on that job.

yes yes yes!
he is absolutely right scott
i dont think i could have done it w/o the gear wrench

·
Registered
321 Posts
No offense guys, but I think he just wants to replace the boot.

Mike Donley

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I believe the boot is the only thing that is bad. How would I know if something else were bad?

I got the hook up on some Eibach springs (from Eibach directly), so I guess I can afford these "arms" anyway. I guess there are a few perks working for Hella. I get discounts on parts like whoa!

-Kornhaus

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
If the boot is bad, the ball joint is shot... you can't just replace the boot anyway (to my knowledge). The uppers only come as a unit, you cannot replace just the ball joint it is NOT available anywhere... The newest of our cars out there is 7 years.. the ball joints, and most of the front and rear suspension bushings, bearings, joints, etc. are all due or over due on any one that hasn't yet replaced them, unless you have unusually low mileage, and even then, I had to replace uppers in the '95 with under 40k.... Florida weather is hard on rubber and plastic parts.

A word to the wise... if the uppers are bad, check the lowers, too.. and it would be smart to look at your front and rear sway bar end links, strut arm bushings, knuckle bushings, shock mounts, etc, etc, etc.... Yup all of it.. it's pay me now, or pay me later. If your lower ball joints need replacement (and the probably do), my advise is to replace the whole arm and get the new bushings as well, although you can just get the MOOG ball joints, but have to have the pressed in (they have the zerc fittings though, the ones already in the new arms don't)...

The good news is that there are poly MOOG poly replacements for almost all those parts available at Rockauto.com at good price which are superior to OEM... or Richie at MN12performance.com has poly replacement sets of bushings..

-mike

·
Registered
620 Posts
68COUGAR said:

OK, I'll bite, what is a "Gear Wrench"? Why do gears require any type of special wrench?

68COUGAR
It is commonly referred to as a "ratchet wrench". It is a regular sized wrench that has a ratcheting action to make removing bolts in tight places easier.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
68COUGAR said:

OK, I'll bite, what is a "Gear Wrench"? Why do gears require any type of special wrench?
Gear Wrench is the name of a company that makes ratcheting wrenches.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Al_Florida said:
Gear Wrench is the name of a company that makes ratcheting wrenches.

I've used both on this job and I can tell you that

Craftsman > Gear wrench

The craftsman version has a slight angle on the head making it much easier - the gear wrench is straight and get hung up on stuff.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Kentwood said:
I've used both on this job and I can tell you that

Craftsman > Gear wrench

The craftsman version has a slight angle on the head making it much easier - the gear wrench is straight and get hung up on stuff.
No doubt. I would only buy Craftsman if I could afford to. Yes, I have noticed that on Gear Wrench. It can get annoying to say the least.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts