TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Thunderbird, 243,000 miles

Well, the fuel pump finally gave up the ghost. Pretty sure it's the original, as I have no record of it ever being changed. Picked up a Delphi assembly (hanger/sender/pump, the whole shebang) and noticed that it's just a little different from the old one.

The old one has this bulb-like part on the outlet end of the pump. Looks like a regulator? It's got the Ford logo stamped on it. The Delphi replacement (HP10143) has no such thing. The Delphi's outlet is plumbed directly to the top. Everything else looks more or less the same, so I don't think it's the wrong one.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,330 Posts
It also leaks if the filter clogs, and doesn't seal after that.

It just pushes on the end of the pump; replace it with the hose.

Use Fuel line rated for being submerged in fuel, or you'll be doing this again soon.

Especially if we start going toward 20% ethanol, as is being floated by potus.
:(

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah I heard about that... oh joy.
The hose that came on the new assembly looks to be the right stuff. It's definitely not just cheap vacuum hose.
It’s a pulse dampener, you don’t need it
Just curious- is the Delphi pump a better/smoother running one than stock? Is that why the dampener isn't needed?
Or is it not necessary in the sense that it's just for NVH, and you can get along without that stuff?

·
Super Moderator
16,772 Posts
NVH, which really isn't anything to worry about. The OEM pump is a 70LPH Walbro, I have a 255lph Walbro with just hose and the fuel pump isn't any noisier from the cabin as far as I can tell

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right on. Always makes me wonder how stuff like that gets implemented. I guess somebody, somewhere along the line decided that they didn't like the noise/vibrations, enough to persuade the almighty bean-counters to approve the addition of an extra part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts