TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I made a video of a mysterious rattle thats comming from the drivers side front end that i cant seem to pinpoint, It was there when i first bought the car & since then I replaced UCA,LCA, sway bar Endlink, Inner & Outer Tierod end. I drove on a gravel road so you can hear the noise contstant. It does it on regular roads too when i drive over deformities in the highway. Below is the video. Anyhelp would be great thanks.
Jeremy

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
Did you consider strut mounts?
Why? His car doesn't have any.

Upper shock mounts, OTOH ... are on their way to me from RockAuto so I can get rid of a similar clunking on my car. Along with lower spring seats for the front. And sway bar bushings and end links (the only things I HAVEN'T swapped out on the front of this car ... )

RwP

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
I have front struts and it's still a MN12 so am I missing something here????????
The struts run from the lower control arm forward to the K-member.

The SHOCKS are mislabeled "struts" by most people.

If you have a strut mount, then you've not got a MN12/FN10 chassis.

RwP

·
It is nice
885 Posts
sway bar rattling maybe?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it was the swaybar wouldnt it be hear on both sides? is sounds as if it is just in the driver side wheelwell :S

·
It is nice
885 Posts
probably just start tugging on things would be easiest to tell, check the dust shield maybe and plastic wheel well for loosness or something hitting, etc. hard to tell just from the sound alone... good luck

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
If it was the swaybar wouldnt it be hear on both sides? is sounds as if it is just in the driver side wheelwell :S
Depends. If it's, say, the swaybar bracket bushing, it'd only rattle on that side. Ditto if it's just one end link bad.

Those are easy enough to replace (and don't affect alignment!) I'd consider doing the whole set - both end links and both bracket bushings.

RwP

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depends. If it's, say, the swaybar bracket bushing, it'd only rattle on that side. Ditto if it's just one end link bad.

Those are easy enough to replace (and don't affect alignment!) I'd consider doing the whole set - both end links and both bracket bushings.

RwP
Ill crawl around underthere tomaro and check the calipers & sway bar brackets, I replaced every suspension component on both side within the past year lol. Hopefully its just the bracket and i could just tighten it down right?

·
Super Moderator
5,168 Posts
On Ruby Jean, the rear swaybar bracket BUSHINGS are rotting out (hey, it's 21 year old rubber back there!) Not sure about the front, but I'll be swapping those ALSO when I do the end links.

I've just got to decide if I want to swap the front spindles for the better brakes now, and do the end links - or do them twice (once now with the 1991 spindles, again when I change to the later model spindles.) Decisions, decisions.

RwP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Listened to the video several times, it almost sounds like the brake pad rattle I had at one point, but IIRC mine had a higher-pitched sound..

It's a long shot, (read: wild guess) but since you're going to be under the car, poke a finger up near the top of the brake caliper, and feel if the rattle clips are in the caliper. First T-bird I bought had new pads but the PO had left the clips out. Sounded like an aluminum extension ladder loosely strapped to the undercarriage, but did it on rough surfaces and bumps only. (And while researching what could be causing it, I stumbled across this neat website called TCCoA. You may have heard of it, lol. :tongue:)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On Ruby Jean, the rear swaybar bracket BUSHINGS are rotting out (hey, it's 21 year old rubber back there!) Not sure about the front, but I'll be swapping those ALSO when I do the end links.

I've just got to decide if I want to swap the front spindles for the better brakes now, and do the end links - or do them twice (once now with the 1991 spindles, again when I change to the later model spindles.) Decisions, decisions.

RwP
Might as well do it all at once, no need to do it twice. =)

Listened to the video several times, it almost sounds like the brake pad rattle I had at one point, but IIRC mine had a higher-pitched sound..

It's a long shot, (read: wild guess) but since you're going to be under the car, poke a finger up near the top of the brake caliper, and feel if the rattle clips are in the caliper. First T-bird I bought had new pads but the PO had left the clips out. Sounded like an aluminum extension ladder loosely strapped to the undercarriage, but did it on rough surfaces and bumps only. (And while researching what could be causing it, I stumbled across this neat website called TCCoA. You may have heard of it, lol. :tongue:)
Thats exactly what it sounds like too, When i get off work thats my purpose lol. Thats insane because i stumbled across that website and it is the best thing since individual cheese slices! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Pretty simple if you have an upper control arm you have a shock....in this case it is a coil over shock.
Alan
No sir. They are a modified strut. Kind of like the mustangs which are labeled from Ford as a modified mcphearson strut.

Look into the brake caliper/pad. Does anything change the noise? Like lightly touching the pedal? You most likely will not be able to pull on the end link and have it shake with the front up on the jackstand. That puts the front in a bind. You can try it on the grond and see what you have.

SWS

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,623 Posts
No sir. They are a modified strut. Kind of like the mustangs which are labeled from Ford as a modified mcphearson strut.
But Ford labels these as coilover shocks, in fact there's not a single mention of macpherson to be found in one page of factory Ford sales or service literature.

The key word in "MacPherson strut" is strut...

A strut is a structural component designed to resist longitudinal compression. Struts provide outwards-facing support in their lengthwise direction, which can be used to keep two other components separate, performing the opposite function of a tie...

...An automotive suspension strut combines the primary function of a shock absorber (as a damper), with the ability to support sideways loads not along its axis of compression, somewhat similar to a sliding pillar suspension, thus eliminating the need for an upper suspension arm
...Again key word. Call it a "modified MacPherson coilover" if you wish but in terms of articulation the MN12 shocks do not function as a strut.

Mustangs use a what is called a modified MacPherson strut soley because the spring is under the LCAs, but they don't drop the "strut" monicker because they are still indeed struts.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts