TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Its a IDF 66 Block looks like at one time some one had a "key" system in there :cool: I did one time as well;) But looks like a BIG pair coming out of the wall !

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a IDF 66 Block looks like at one time some one had a "key" system in there :cool: I did one time as well;) But looks like a BIG pair coming out of the wall !
Ok? I am not sure what any of that means. Why would this be in a small little house?

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
Ok? I am not sure what any of that means. Why would this be in a small little house?
Because someone had a small business out of it earlier.

It's how you got business telephone > 4 lines or so into a building.

Looks like a 25 pair coming in, too.

BTW - "IDF 66 block" is how that block is described. It uses type 66 connections, a very reliable method of wiring telephones.

Bet the outside demarcation is a big'un also :diablo:

RwP

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Because someone had a small business out of it earlier.

It's how you got business telephone > 4 lines or so into a building.

Looks like a 25 pair coming in, too.

BTW - "IDF 66 block" is how that block is described. It uses type 66 connections, a very reliable method of wiring telephones.

Bet the outside demarcation is a big'un also :diablo:

RwP
Got that right Ralph . Sounds like we talk the same "shop" ;) Wonder how many pairs were being used coming in before

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
A "Key System" in reference to phone systems IS a phone system - there's a box that handles incoming calls, and possibly music on hold and voice mail, and separate extensions.

So they'd call 555-1212 and ask for extension 12 to talk to you in the bedroom, for instance.

I'm with Darren, Google for more info.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
Got that right Ralph . Sounds like we talk the same "shop" ;) Wonder how many pairs were being used coming in before
Possibly.

I'm not CWA, so I can't work outside the demarc, but I'm a computer network guy that always Does It Right with the telco network on the inside.

I've been called anal, but I know some anal telco guys - I'm not quite like that (every screw lined up vertically anyone?)

RwP

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a strange deal. My parents bought this little tiny house in a little tiny resort neighborhood. It was built in 2003, it was a HUD foreclosure, and they got it extremely cheap. There are wires running everywhere, wires coming out of the walls terminating at nothing, network cables, speaker wires, phone wires everywhere, leading to nothing. There are speakers built into the walls in some of the rooms, then there are non speaker wires and strange telephone wires coming out of the walls. Then that thing in the back of the house in the laundry room. Also there is a HUGE dish network splitter with probably four coax connectors on each side of it.

None of it makes sense, and all of it will pretty much have to be ripped out because it's all kinda cut up and useless. I'm just trying to figure out why in the world a little tiny house would be set up like that.

The house has major thick cigarette smoke stains everywhere, and according to the police chief, the previous owners where smoking "other things" in the house as well :rolleyes: I don't know if that is true or not. I am just trying to piece together an answer to the question WHY all of this, the only thing I can think of is that the original owners must have had something going on and they sold it to the crackheads, who screwed it all up.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
The house has major thick cigarette smoke stains everywhere, and according to the police chief, the previous owners where smoking "other things" in the house as well :rolleyes: I don't know if that is true or not. I am just trying to piece together an answer to the question WHY all of this, the only thing I can think of is that the original owners must have had something going on and they sold it to the crackheads, who screwed it all up.
Or the original owners were the crack heads and needed a phone block like that to handle their deals.

My brother-in-law worked for Avaya and he had a smaller block like that to handle both the phones and the network jacks for the house, the house actually had the multiple phone/network jacks at each receptacle just like an office building would have.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Most newer homes will have a distribution block, not all have that many spots, or that many pairs running through the house, but I have the punch tool (or are those the posts you twist the wire on?) and have done some reworking on more than of those. Depends on how much they spend on upgrades at construction time. Some times it is 50-100 a room to either run conduit and string, or cat5/cat6 and coax to the them from the hub.

I would KILL to have that setup.

My house was built in 1974, BUT it was the model home, so it has additional wiring to all rooms, for phone. It also has the main phone line with a power point for the trim line phones!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
We used to have a few of those at my old workplace .. probably 10 of them in a row, with a thousand wires everywhere ( it was a big building with a LOT of phones / internet ) .. looked like a HUGE rats nest, I felt sorry for anybody who had to work on that.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
We still have a wall full of them in the switch room, of course the main purpose of this building is a call center with just a few of us who aren't a part of that.

·
Super Moderator
4,902 Posts
If properly labeled and done properly, it's not that hard.

OTOH, if everyone that's been into it has been doing peyote/mescaline and other drugs, or have been drunk ... It's a bit harder.:mad::mad:

RwP

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
The only person who needs all those phone lines is a bookie.
Place your bets.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
If properly labeled and done properly, it's not that hard

OTOH, if everyone that's been into it has been doing peyote/mescaline and other drugs, or have been drunk ... It's a bit harder.:mad::mad:

RwP

That is it in a nutshell :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
all the wires coming out of random places in the walls make me wonder...it seems like the skelital remains of what was once an elaborate setup...still none of it makes sense becuase this is a small house pretty much in the middle of nowhere...weird. I'm gonna go over there and really look around now that it's not so hot

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Careful, you might find out the house was painted when the inside of the walls aren't the same color as the outsides. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts