TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purge Flow Sensor? My car is throwing a check engine light code for this. It is a bolt in part that I can replace myself and if so where is it located? What does it look like?

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's under the passenger side fender. You can access it by removing the splash shield on the passenger side wheel well. If you look at your intake plenum, you'll see a vacuum hose on the back that's routed under the intake tube, going to a metal rail on the passenger side, down low by the exhaust manifold. That very vacuum hose is most likely rotting away if it's original. On the other end of the metal rail, you can follow that hose to the purge flow sensor (small, black plastic), then the purge solenoid (cylindrical, bronze-colored), then to the charcoal canister itself (in that order). Again, most of this vacuum line is probably in crap condition.

If the lines are fine, your two primary culprits are the flow sensor (most likely), and purge solenoid (slightly less likely). I'd replace them in that order, making sure to reset the computer between each.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume I reset the PUTER by disconnecting battery? Side note on this this issue comes and goes. Will have check light on for a day or week or a month then go off for a day, a week or a month. My shop wants 168 bucks to replace it. I have access to pick and pull car yard with tbirds out the ass with a few with low miles which makes me think the sensor and the like.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I assume I reset the PUTER by disconnecting battery? Side note on this this issue comes and goes. Will have check light on for a day or week or a month then go off for a day, a week or a month. My shop wants 168 bucks to replace it. I have access to pick and pull car yard with tbirds out the ass with a few with low miles which makes me think the sensor and the like.
Where in OH are you? I'd LOVE to find that "pick and pull yard with T-Birds out the ass"! :)

Dennis

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in cincy. They typically have many of them from 93ish on up to 97. Right now they have a 85, 88 turbo, 88, 89, 92, 93,

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
94, 95, 96. 4 94's and one each of the others. They have some cougars also.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just snagged two working back lights, the big glow light looking things for my 96, as one of them was dead.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
You have to remove the passenger side tire to get to it. They are connected to the charcoal canister, I also remember there are two of them depending on what color the one you have is, black or tan.

I wouldn't do junk yard parts for this, I don't remember how much there were new (seem to remember about 60 bucks, I replace the cheaper part first, that didn't solve it, I put the other part new part in and the old part, and within a few days back to CEL from time to time for the same thing), but new is the way to go. You will likely find the hose just crumbles when you go to remove it from the back of the upper plenum.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Aye, definitely go with new parts on this. You can get the sensor for ~$25 at Napa, and the solenoid for ~$50. Replace the sensor first, as it's cheaper and more prone to failure.

You can reset the computer by pulling fuse #15 from the box under the hood and turning the ignition to on a few times. Replace the fuse, and start it up. The fact that the code goes away and comes back at relatively large intervals is fairly normal. There are specific conditions that must be met for the computer to purge the canister. I remember there being a post on here with the details on those specifics, but I can't seem to find it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts