TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
check the diff code on you door sill sticker then SEARCH. The codes have been posted somewhere, just can't remember ATM.

EDIT: http://tccoa.com/articles/gears/gears.html I don't know if these codes apply to the 7.5 and the 8.8 or just the 8.8. Remember to search the Articles when doing your research before posting. I got this page as an answer to a question I posted a couple months ago. It is about 15 entries below your post.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/gears/gears.html
The axle code is a one digit letter or number so F5 is not valid. If you have an F it is 3.45 open gears. If it is 5 then it is 3.27 open gears. I have never heard of factory 3.45 gears in an MN12.
The axle code will not tell you if it is 8.8" or 7.5", although most N/A V6's got 7.5's. I think I remember reading that the 97's had a higher chance of having an 8.8 because they were trying to use up all the parts before shutting down the manufacturing of the MN12. The only way to tell for sure is to crawl under it and look at it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Weird. Well, the only way to know for sure is to get under your car and visually ID it by the numbers on the Tag.
Just jack the ass end and spin a tire to see if it has trac loc... :tongue:

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Weird. Well, the only way to know for sure is to get under your car and visually ID it by the numbers on the Tag.
Yes, and by looking at your cover you'll see down on the lower right it will say "8.8" or "7.5".
This pic showing "8.8" for reference:

The metal tag with the ratio will more than likely be up higher on the cover and much harder to see....and that's still not an absolute guarantee as to what's inside. Sometimes people do weird things like changing the ratio and keeping the stock tag in place.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
F5

My references say F5 is 7.5", could be one of two ratios, 4.10 or 3.55, most likely 3.55:1, cause the 4.10 comes in trucks with the F5 code. And yes, trac-lok (Ford's posi).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts