TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my hands on a used low milage 4.6 out of a '97 F150, has one hole with 0 compression. I'm guessing probably a bad valve, and several other mechanics agree. I'm wondering, what kind of pistons would be stock in it? I plan on PI swapping this motor, with nitrous shortly thereafter. I don't wanna make a religious piston.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
the only factory mod cars to get forged pistons is the boosted applications like the lightning and blown cobras

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how well will these hold up to being PI'ed and possibaly nitroused (at probably the 75 shot)

Also found out the milage, 83 K

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
So how well will these hold up to being PI'ed and possibaly nitroused (at probably the 75 shot)

Also found out the milage, 83 K
PI engine swap plus nitrous I'd go 125, stock bottom end with PI heads I wouldn't go over a 50 shot, your gambling with high compression with weak internals

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
even stock forged rods suck teh ballz, i just lost 2 rods on my 5.0 in my 92 bird its suppose to have a full forged rotating assembly

cyl 1 rod to piston broken

no rod mode

not connected

good pic of the snapped rod

rod broken from crank

heres cylinder 8s broken rod

heres the other end still connected

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
the 5.0 never got "stock forged rods", some years got forged pistons. Only the 03/04 got actual forged rods. All others got powder metal rods.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Powdered Metal is a forging process, so you have to ask which alloy. Powder forged and "normally" forged rods do not use the same alloy.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Some 5.0's got forged pistons, but none got forged rods too.

Stock, the 4.6 came with pretty lame pistons; however, the 5.4L Lightning / Harley model, 03/04 Cobra, Shelby, and Ford GT all got forged pistons.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts