TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it goes, we all have purchased a Thunderbird, Cougar or Mark for a reason, maybe the styling, handling, performance, etc... Just curious as to what led some of you guys to purchasing yours.

Mine came from my dad purchasing his used 1986 Thunderbird, I just really liked the styling and interior, and it seemed like it was fun to drive, I remember after my mom drove it the first time she commented that it had some good power to it.

After it was sold I always thought about how much I liked how that car looked, and what I would have done to it if I would have owned it, years latter a few people I went to high school with had them one of them got crashed due to underage drinking, and the other one I remember was a nice red 92 with the 5.0 H.O. and the young guy that owned it put some decent money into it, had a nice exhaust and some other visable mods, I think it too got wrecked, I wouldn't buy my first one till after high school and for a measly $200.00 I bought my 86 Thunderbird with a 5.0 EFI motor and in rough shape, but I liked it a lot and despite it's beater image it was fun to drive and reliable, kept it till it feel apart literally, after that I knew I was going to have another, since then have been a Thunderbird, Cougar owner.

I just really like the styling and the fact it is RWD and has a v8, even though I went and decided to get an MN-12 due to the fact that finding a decent fox model around me got to be hard and pricey for a good one I could work with I decided the MN-12 would suit my needs and was not a hard compromise to make.

I sometimes wonder if my dad hadn't bought that 86 would I have even been interested in these cars, I am not sure but one thing I agree with I am glad I made the discovery that landed me into the world of these cars.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Nothing realy. It had a V8 and my dad is a chevy guy, so i went ford to P**S him off lol. I also liked the look of the car, it was either thunder or fire; at the time i couldnt find a decent site for firebirds bt found tccoa. So that had alot to do with it also.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I had an '86 3.8 Cougar, as a hand-me-down, then I "upgraded" to another 3.8, a '93 hand-me-down. At this point I was around 19 and the large comfy back seat proved useful. So then when I was 23, I upgraded to a '97 4.6L Sport I bought off a lot.

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
I always thought the aero FLMs of the 80s/early 90s looked awesome and with V8 RWD, they were always at the top of my list for modern cars. Truth be told it was either an MN12 or something 60s/early 70s. My parents weren't too supportive of the latter when I was 17 and admittedly, what I could afford wouldn't be too reliable(or running), so they had a point :tongue:

Late model Mustangs were never on my radar at the time. Believe it or not, my appreciation for Foxbodies and SN95s didn't come until years later.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I bought mine because I lived down the street from the original owner and really like the style, color, and V8 RWD platform. I drove by that car daily for years so I guess I just got attached to the specific car.

I test drove a new one back in late 97-early 98 it was green. I didn't like the color as much as pearl white at the time so didn't buy it back then. I couldn't order what I wanted so I bought a new F-150 instead.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The first MN-12 I ever drove was my ex girlfriends 97 Sport I loved it, back then they were out of my price range. A few years later my wife pushed me into buying my blue 94 beater, several thunderbirds later I decided that modding the car was too expensive so I settled for something similar, the goat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My first bird I purchased was when I was 19, bought it from Modularbird....it was a 94 beautiful car, body kit, cold air intake, v8 and a deep blue color! It turned out to be my favorite!! But needed work from sitting to long, and that was when modular bird started coming over to help and we soon dated then married, but that's another story :)

·
Super Moderator
9,179 Posts
My car I inherited from my dad. He bought it because of his previous experiences with MN12s; he had owned a 90 several years prior (only reason he got rid of it was because of rust) and my mom also owned a 93 around the same time. He bought a 96 Trans Am and wanted another car to drive in winter, so he decided on a T-bird (somewhat ironic). He specifically searched for a V8 car after his experience with the 3.8s, and decided on a 97 because it would be the newest and (theoretically) best shape/most refined of the body style. He ended up driving all the way to Cincinnati to pick up the car and almost walked without it because the dealer wouldn't make a reasonable bargain for the car. Shortly after buying the car my dad found and joined TCCoA.

So after I started driving I drove the T-bird because my dad had the Trans Am and my mom had the Explorer. A short time after beginning to drive the car I started complaining to my dad about certain maintenance items, but since he couldn't afford to fix them in a timely manner I started buying and replacing parts on my own. After a year or so of that my dad ended up just giving the car to me stating I had already "bought" the car through the money I had spent in maintenance.

It was during this phase of replacing parts that I started going out with my fiancee, whose father is a Thunderbird fanatic and also happens to own a 97 with the 4.6 in the same color as mine. It was his enthusiasm for the cars that drew me to greatly appreciate the uniqueness and character of what I had. Then one night after driving home from visiting her at school, the a/c compressor clutch failed, which is when I discovered that my dad visited TCCoA for help on occasion. A few months later it was time for new tires, so I followed suit and joined the site for suggestions.

Being active on TCCoA further grew me to learn about and appreciate my car, so after a little over a year I decided that I would keep my first car, my T-bird, for as long a time as possible. I realized there was very little rust on the car, considering it was driven winter-only by my dad for 3 years then driven by me year round for another 3. I treated the underbody to stop what rust there was, and then it came time to buy a winter car of my own. I considered many types - FWD, 4WD - but I too settled on another MN12 because I just couldn't feel "at home" in any other type of car (not to mention I already knew a lot about them and found it easy to work on them). So then I bought the Cougar.

Well, since I guess the rest is history, there's no need for me to type a novel... :D

·
Registered
680 Posts
My first Cougar (sounds naughty) was a 92 that was passed down from my mom when I was 15. It was a 3.8L with a moonroof, and it was so much faster than me on my BMX bike, so I was in love!

After that one was having issues (already had the head gaskets replaced), I wanted one that was not only more reliable, but a bit faster, so I went with a 94 4.6 V8. It was an amazingly fun car, but when I had some electrical/starting issues, I finally replaced it as a DD with an MS6, with the plans to fix it up. Then my sister ruined it :(

Now I am torn on whether to get another one, or move to a different platform as parts are getting harder to find at my local JY.

Stephen

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
My Dad worked at Ford WHQ and had a program car every year. We used to get Aerostars a lot, so people would constantly offer their cars for trade for a weekend. We always got the nice ones, Eddie Bauer and XLT models so during the summer is was pretty consistant that my Dad got different cars.

In 1990, my Dad got a 35th Anniversary Edition for a weekend. I could tell, he loved that car. He took me and my friends on a backroad romp through the countryside. My Dad wasn't really into the car hobby, so it was a surprise he did that.

Since that, I have always wanted a MN12 of my own. in 2008, I decided to sell my Mercury Sable for a project. My buddy wanted to see me get a Crown Victoria but I really wanted a Bird. After searching around, (http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=110162), I found my 1995. I was looking for a 1996+ but this one spoke to me. Its been one hell of a ride getting her going, but its worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I always had 4 doors, from my first car at 16 (78 Granada). I finally decided I wanted a a 2 door, but not something small.

Got the 89 Cougar. A few months later found out a child was on the way, great timing. As I still had a 4 door that was okay, and I prefer a 2 door with kids as you control their entry and exit and door opening (even with the giant carrier and other seats).

The 89, being a NA 3.8, just wasn't doing it for me. So I searched for a 97/98 Mark VIII. I didn't find one I liked but found a low mileage 97 Cougar Sport, loved the pearl paint so I bought it instead. Wrecked it after 7 years and decided to take the insurance money (4200!) and get a Mark VIII. Settled on one (has issues, isn't my favorite color) and it is slowly coming together.

I went the MN12 route over Mustangs for rear seat space (I was planning on kids!) but the 97 Mark has very little, where the 89 and the 97 Cougars have plenty, odd.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sold my 2010 silverado in order to look to the future better financially. Alone I save over 600 dollars a month (including insurance and gas).

Bought the car from my father in law. I left pecker tracks on this thing in college. ;)(he still jokes about getting the car back and there being boob prints on the hood...)

2 months later I love the car. It is a blast to drive. I have spent probably 300 bucks in repairing the complete front suspension and another 400 in wheels. With plans to improve power and handling in the future. She still needs a paint job as well.
Oh and still ahead of owning the truck 2 months later.

Father in law had let it sit for 3 or 4 years as he had more reliable transportation but could not let the car go due to the attachment he had with it. He loves that I am slowly repairing it and the only consequence is that I must offer it to him for trade before selling it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
In 2010 I was a poor medical student with a freshly blown transmission. My mom was getting a new car, and she wanted to pass her's down. It was a 2001 Dodge Intrepid with 150k miles on it, but it ran great and had good paint and interior. To be fair to my twin sisters, we drew for who got her car. If a sister got my mom's car, they could give it to me, or they could keep it and give me their car. A sister got the Intrepid and I got the Thunderbird. I couldn't have been more unhappy at the time. My uncle convinced me that a 40,000 mile V8 was the best possible outcome. Being a spotter in NASCAR, he told me how fast they were on the track, and it kinda pumped me up. I discovered Phatbrd's car on the net, and realized that even though it may not be every man's flavor, this car has potential. I've had three "blank check" offers for my car. MN12s are pretty rare around here and mine is definitely unique.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 97 was purchased from my grandfathers dealership/now my aunts. I was supposed to get a 97 gt vert stang but it got sold day before i got their. So I tried a few stick v6 stangs and probe gts, but feel in love with the Bird when i saw it plus it was a v8 and my 6'5 300lb dad could fit easily so we were sold. It is the most comfortable ride i have ever been in, and everyone that rides in it says the same. This is one car that I will never sell and look forward to passing down to my son someday!!!

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Loooong story but here it goes...:D
My whole life after I turned 16 has revolved around thunderbirds. Lol. My first bird was a burgandy 1995 which was flawless inside and out the only thing wrong with it was ball joints and really bad tires. We got all that fixed and it was a great car through all of high school. Sadly I wrecked it on the day of out graduation party going to work. Then I got a summer job in construction, saved my money for a bird I wanted. It was a blue 1994 with a xenon body kit, and it looked amazing. I decided about a year later I wanted a car with less miles so I sold it to a family friend and got my 1st silver 96.
The blue bird had broken down on my friend, and I felt bad because I had just sold her the car. So after a few afternoons working on her car I asked her out. We dated for a while and I asked her to be my wife. After about a year we had to sell her car because everything was breaking at once and it was gonna cost to much to fix.
Fast forward another couple years and I found a car that I had to have... The silver slut! It was my dream car. Having everything done to it that I wanted inside and out. So I had to sell my other 96 so I could make payments until we got our taxes so I could pay her off.
And now we plan to get a blue 1997 for my wife because she badly misses her bird...
So there you have it. As you can see these cars have had a big impact on my life. And I was proud to own all of them.

·
pendejo
430 Posts
This was in the tech articles.
http://tccoa.com/articles/misc/confessions.html

Personally I've always liked the look of the MN-12 Cougars they were on the list of cars I'd like to own someday. (It's a long list and includes a bunch of random 80's cars that most people would rather just forget.)
Anyways, I owned a 99 F150 at the time(v6, 2wd, auto), In the 14 months I owned it I'd invested $3000 in repairs, The exhaust kept breaking off near the cats and I kept getting it patched, they welded up a bunch of pinholes in the cats themselves but the next time it broke It was going to cost me $1000 to replace the downpipes and cats. And once the rearend got warmed up it was very noisy slowing to a stop. It was fall and I needed either snow tires, or better yet another vehicle. A local used car dealer had a beautiful 95 Cougar on the lot, and had a building full of good used tires for sale.

I told him I wanted one or the other, and managed to straight trade the truck for the Cougar. Drove straight home pulled the fuse to turn my interior lights off, and joined TCCoA :D

I had all the papers ready to import the Cougar into the USA with me when I moved here. Then I found out my wife was pregnant and decided we were going to need to sell it and buy a four door car, I didn't really want to sell it, and kept flip flopping on what to do. While this was happening My wife's uncle got T-Boned in his Mark VIII. He offered that car to us for what it cost him to buy it back from the insurance company with a clean title, $1000 was top dollar but he just didn't want to let it go with a salvage title.

I figured hey a Mark VIII is close enough to a Cougar and it has an auto-glide passenger seat. I put the Cougar for sale bought the Lincoln, bought a set of tires, and got the body work done cheap since my wife does custom airbrushing at a body shop. and still had $20 left in my pocket from selling the Cougar...
So here I am typing short storys that nobody wants to read.
And a 97 Mark VIII is just too ugly looking to replace a Cougar, So I think I need to buy one more of these cars before I move on to the next thing.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
And a 97 Mark VIII is just too ugly looking to replace a Cougar, So I think I need to buy one more of these cars before I move on to the next thing.
QFT!

does not even compare to

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I bought my first ford ever a modded 90 sc auto. My ex wife forced me to sell it. So I got rid of my beloved bird. This was before I joined the forum. Then things changed and I got rid of the wife. She just wasnt into the same things anymore. I went through afew loser birds with huge problems. I had a 91 lx which was rust and termites holding hands when Richard (Another member) offered his car to a good home. After watching his posts for a week and thinking "Yeah someones giving away a rust free bird". I responded and a month after that I had made plans to have her shipped up.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My first car was a silver v6 97 Thunderbird. I had the choice of either the Thunderbird, dark green 98 Monte Carlo, or a 2 door red Pontiac Grand Prix GT. To be honest I really wanted the Grand Prix but the rotors were rusted, brakes squeaked and it had 30k more miles than the other two cars not to mention they were asking $1200 more than the Tbird. So Dad picked up the Thunderbird a couple days later and surprised me with it. I was over joyed. I got it 1 month before I turned 16.

I kept this bird for about 7 months and installed dual exhaust, and a tune. After getting beat by a Scion TC, v6 Mustang, integra, s13 240, etc etc I had to have the v8. Picked up the v8 at a local dealer traded in my v6 bird plus $800 bucks. The v8 was a little rough (half a body kit, interior was worn) but she had a lot more get up and go. I raced my buddies with the Scion TC and v6 mustang and I beat both of them by about 2 car lengths :diablo:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts