TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am putting a 5.0 in my 89 cougar with a 5 spd m5r2
what is the best lomgtube that i can use with the least amount of modding required?
thanks guys
mike

·
Super Moderator
7,684 Posts
Those MAC's are the best bet for the least amount of modding required. You can either raise the motor a bit, or take the stock steering shaft and cut out the section that goes through the header and weld a thinner shaft back in its place, and then everything will clear and you will keep the collapsible steering shaft. Your other option is to do the steering mod where you add another U-joint and a support bearing, and have the steering shaft go around the headers instead of through them.

Also, one minor thing to note, if you are putting this in an 89, you have to get the positive battery cable and starter for a 91-93. The headers don't clear the larger old style starter, and the newer style has the solenoid built into it instead of on the firewall so the cable is different.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool,thanks for the input guys.i knew that the macs were the way to go ,i was just wondering if anybody else had a tried and true lt that work,looks like i am going with the macs
mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts