TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I need a new MAF for my 94 bird 4.6. I see people use 02-04 gt MAF, or the lightning MAF. Will either bolt right in without any other mods? I have a custom 3" CAI from t-body to MAF, and no mufflers, or resonator. Thats all i have for mods, and a set of 3.73 gears soon. The SCT isn't copletely needed for a tune after te MAF is in is it?

Thanks, any info would be great as i need this thing on the road, but i can't pass emissions with a CEL on.

Thanks. Nik

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
You need a tune to run any MAF that isn't specified for your vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok. I wasn't to sure, as i am not used to EFI and MAF. I am a carb type of guy, lol.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Try cleaning the one you have now.It might just be dirty.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I cleaned and changed the MAF still got the code. Swapped the TPS and haven't seen the code again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know i also need the tps sensor. i think the numbers are f4......................i know it has AA in it.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've got a couple. Both from 97 4.6 T-birds. What part number?

(Yea, I know, someone beat me to it, but just in case....)

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Bla... That is a ploy that the chip vendors put out to sell tunes. Same old... :rolleyes:

I drove with the C&L (f/k/a Vortec) 73mm MAF for several years in my 4.6L without a tune. Call them for more info.

It worked great, provided increased performance with no problems for three years. :eek:

I eventually sold or gave it away after I purchased a larger MAF!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ really ehh. But for now i iwll just get a stock replacement, then later downthe road i will upgrade. I just need my daily, right away.

·
5,650 Posts
I've got a couple. Both from 97 4.6 T-birds. What part number?

(Yea, I know, someone beat me to it, but just in case....)
It won't work for him.

As far as the C&L goes, my experience wasn't a good one. I also got the 73mm unit and for the entire 2 months that I had it, I drove with the TC unlocked at all times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ why is that? so i know not to get a one taht wont work. will only 94 MAF's work for me or 94-95???

Nik

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Bla... That is a ploy that the chip vendors put out to sell tunes. Same old... :rolleyes:

I drove with the C&L (f/k/a Vortec) 73mm MAF for several years in my 4.6L without a tune. Call them for more info.

It worked great, provided increased performance with no problems for three years. :eek:

I eventually sold or gave it away after I purchased a larger MAF!

when you use stock injectors there isnt a problem with C&Ls really......airflow across the heated elements in the MAF stay roughly the same.....its when you use larger than stock injectors (which most C&L owners tend to do so anyways) that the Engine Load calculation starts drifting further and further from what it is supposed to be.....fortunately in our EECs there is so much timing left on the table and such a rich commanded A/F ratio at WOT, that a lower-calculated-than-actual Engine Load wont cause too much headache because instead of running at 10.5:1 A/F ratio that is commanded @ WOT @ high-RPMs, it might end up being closer to 12.5:1 which is infact more or less ideal......and instead of commanding only 12-15° of spark from the borderline spark table, it might now be commanding a correspondingly higher 20-25° of spark from that table, which again is more ideal.........so it may not be as bad in our cases where there is so much margin of safety already programmed into the EEC, but some other 4.6 applications may not have so much margin, IE: mustangs.....usually stangs are programmed much more agressive and those leaner ratios and increased timing can result in damage........and those numbers I threw out are rough guesstimates....engine load, as the EEC sees it, would have to be datalogged as well as spark and commanded A/F ratio to know what exactly would be considered safe or not

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I did it in a 95. C&K provides only the body. You have to insert the stock sensor electronics in it.

At the time my car had stock injectors, removed air sielencer, cone filter, tranny cooler and a Pro Torque converter. It is a poor mans mod and it ran pretty darn good. Smoked a few 5.0's...

I believe it is a good starting point for those on a budget. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well guys i cleaned the MAF, still not working good. I put a new TPS sensor, still same crap. I unplugged the maf afetr cleaning it an replcing the tps runs better but engine light is on, i need an etest done. so engine light is auto FAIL!!!!!.

Let me know it anyone has on that i can get RIGHT AWAY!! i have an etest on thursday.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts