TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So I did a search, and couldn't turn up a direct answer to this question. If this has been done before, could you point me in the right direction?

What motors fit the late 80's-early 90's Tbirds and Cougars? Or even Engine and Transmission combinations.

And when I ask this, I literally mean any engine, or engine and trans combination. Any engine that I put in will have to have the wiring changed anyways, so I'm looking for any engine out of any type of vehicle that will fit and bolt up without any really major modifications.

Thanks,
Stephen

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The only engines that will bolt right into a MN12: (all Ford)

• 3.8 V6 n/a
  • 3.8 V6 SC
  • 302/5.0
  • 4.6 SOHC
  • 4.6 DOHC
All of the above engines will bolt right in assuming you have the matching motor mounts, exhaust downtubes, etc. Note that the first three items share transmission bellhousing pattern and are different than the 4.6.
Finding a list of cars with all these engines is too broad of a question. You need to pick what motor/transmission combo you want and then search to find what cars had them.
Good luck. :)

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,262 Posts
The 460's not really bolt in.
But it fits better than the 4.6.

·
Banned
754 Posts
seriously? I thought the 4.6L motor was basically the 460, but bored and modified.

is that correct?

Where could one obtain one of these 460s?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
seriously? I thought the 4.6L motor was basically the 460, but bored and modified.

is that correct?

Where could one obtain one of these 460s?
LOL NO

A 4.6L modular is a 281 cid engine. The 460 is 460 cid, which is quite a bit more displacement (1.63 times more displacement actually).

They are not at all alike, outside of having 8 cylinders. The 4.6L is SOHC while the 460 is a pushrod OHV motor...

The other thing is the 460 is a torque monster-- the 4.6L isn't exactly torquey.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
About the only thing that I know of that the 460 and 4.6L have in common is their size, and even then I think the 4.6L is wider.

IIRC, the 460 was manufactured between 1968 and 1997. They were used in passenger cars, trucks, vans and boats. Some builders do not want the 73-later heads due to their inefficiency and being prone to detonation, even on low compression motors.

The '68-'72 429/460 heads have more efficient 72-77cc small chambers, better ports, and stud-mounted rocker arms (which can be upgraded to fully adjustable), but are much harder to find in good condition. Due to the many design changes in the 460, parts cost more and are often harder to come by if you plan on trying to use mostly stock parts and some lower end aftermarket parts to create your 460 monster. Of course if you pockets are deep, then the sky's the limit :D

I am by no means an expert on the 385-series motors, it's just info I've come across.

Jay

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. this is perfect. i'm from newfoundland, Canada, and these cars are rare on the island. so i'm just trying to see what my options were when i was looking through the scrapyards. hopefully i can find a 5L in an scrap car somwhere.

One extra question though...

Carb'd or Fuel injected. Just looking for some oppinions on simplicity of install and upkeep.

Thanks for the quick replys,

Stephen

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
...Carb'd or Fuel injected. Just looking for some oppinions on simplicity of install and upkeep...
I would say that going carbed is going to be easiest. If you have a complete donor 91-93 MN12 V8 it would be a little easier to go with fuel injection but it is still a wiring nightmare from what I have heard.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you want carb'd, go 351W. If you want Fuel injected, 5.0. The mod list is crazy huge thanks to the fox body Mustang and a majority of it fits our cars. I'd you want a turbo'd/SC'd setup I think the 4.6l handles forced induction better. (Don't quote me on that though lol) Or just drop in the 3.8 out of a 89-95 SC. (Along with the M5R2 :D )

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Hey some of us SC guys need those engine to stick around for parts. ;)

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'll be the one to say it; if you have to ask it is way beyond your current knowledge/skill set. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but thats the truth. Start small and build yourself up to the big stuff, everyone has to start somewhere. A big block swap is not a beginner project.

·
Banned
754 Posts
oh hell I wouldn't be doing it tomorrow or any time soon, but knowing you can put a 460 into a cougar, well that's certainly piqued my interest.

I consider my car to be a long term project..... long.....at some point though when I do get some cash for an engine, I would like to get an engine in advance, and slowly work on it over a course of time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Since your project is down the road, research a ton. The more you learn the better. Your plans may even change a few times before you commit to one. At one point in time I was considering a 460/429. I ended up realizing that for what I use my car for my current set up would be a better 'fit'. I ended up not going for the low-tech 'bruiser' approach. I will build a fox body big block bird someday though.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Since your project is down the road, research a ton.
still though, where could I find a 460? and how hard is it to actually drop into a 96 cougar?

I've already started :D

your right my plans may change, but ideally I'm hoping to have a second car, just a bucket to drive in the winter, so I can put this car away...... if that happens then I won't be so concerned about putting a massive engine in my car and getting .5 mpg ...... :)

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Custom

Hello

You will need to make mounts, Move items.
Support brackets etc..

Look at the post about custom front K, Then an oil pan. Fox type maybe.
Homemade engine mounts. Custom exhaust. prob. A C6 trany.

My 460 came from a 70's Lincoln & 73 F250

Paul

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Well, anything will fit in to anything, right? You could put in a modular V10 or a 390 or a 300 inline 6 if you wanted to do enough fab work, but the motors that Derek listed are the ones that will drop in, bolt up to a compatible transmission, and work directly with existing MN-12 parts (including wiring, fuel lines, etc.)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts