TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a decent sounding muffle for my 96 4.6 Tbird. I stock pipes. I want to get a muffler that will make the car sound better. I am looking for some growl but nothing real loud. Any idea's folks?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dont care about quality as I typically sell a car be4 a muffler would rust out.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Well a "decent souding" muffler is purely opinionative. But if you want to listen to some clips with what mods people have done go here http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=78905

Also the search button will help you out.

C.Hill

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I have a Dynomax Bullet muffler. I took off the resonator and rear 2 mufflers. I had it welded on in place of the resonator. It sounds about the same as my buddies 99' Z28 with SLP exhaust. I like it better. It doesn't drone and can be heard inside the car. Not too loud. Just right!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 96 with the 4.6 does not have a resonator, does it? ALl I see are the two cats up front, a 3rd at the Y and two mufflers at the rear. I was assuming those two in the back jsut get cut off and louder muffs get installed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have magnaflow on my car and it's not that loud but has a good sound to it.
You might try just chopping off the stock muffs and see if you like it. Its a bit more ratty than a muffler but its cheap. :D

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
My 96 with the 4.6 does not have a resonator, does it? ALl I see are the two cats up front, a 3rd at the Y and two mufflers at the rear. I was assuming those two in the back jsut get cut off and louder muffs get installed.
The 3rd at the Y is your resonator. And you need true duals instead of one pipe all the way untill it splits. That will give you the osund you need.

C.Hill

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told (here) that that thing at the Y is a 3rd cat. It looks like one to me.
As for a true dual, well I aint Mr money bags, ha ha ha. Just trying to make the ride sound a little better with out putting big jack into it.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Yeah it's a cat.

Just cut off the mufflers and put 2 dynomax on and be good to go.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
That is the Third cat.Normally there is a small looking muffler right after the third cat that would be the resonator.

Sounds like you do not have one.

I have true duals with Xpipe, high flow cats and Dynomax mufflers.It sounds really good but the Dynomax mufflers are too quiet for my taste,My father has a Mid mount Magnaflow with no cats on his 94 SVO car.It sounds insane.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will check again but I do not recall anything between that 3rd cat and the muffs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It should be there. It is practically right behind the third cat and looks like a small muffler. If you flick it with your finger it will give off a nice ping.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
96/97 Didn't come with a resonator.

My bad, i was picturing my full exhaust of my 94 in my garage. You are totally right.

C.Hill

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If you put a BULLET muffler on it is kinda loud. I think it will be exactly what you are looking for. FRom what you have written on here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts