TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am storing my 1970 Marquis for the winter in a garage, what needs to be done and checked before letting it sit for the winter? I've changed the oil, checked the coolant, new plugs and wires. The car will be sitting for at least 6 months. It an all original car with only 77,000 miles on it so I want to take care of it properly. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Completely fill the gas tank and use a fuel stabilizer, clean the car inside and out, plug the tailpipe with steel wool, cover the car, put it on jack stands... um... I'm probably missing some stuff.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I hadn't thought about the fuel stabilizer. Is the jack stands for the tires or the suspension? Should I disconnect the battery? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Thanks, I hadn't thought about the fuel stabilizer. Is the jack stands for the tires or the suspension? Should I disconnect the battery? Thanks.
Interesting Thread ! I never did store a Car for the Winter but I would disconnect the battery. Back in Germany ppl and i store the Winter/Summer tires stocked up.
Butting the car on jack-stands sound good, just without Tires to have the Suspension Part's hang freely.

-Maic

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
Hm, for the battery you might want to consider a tender, that'll keep it charged and ready to roll when time comes 'round to pull it out of storage.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Like the terminator said, make sure you completely fill the gas tank as well. Otherwise the inside of the tank can rust and cause other problems. If it has radial tires, I wouldn't worry so much about getting the tires off the ground. If it has bias-ply tires, they will flat spot badly if you don't. You probably should disconnect the battery, and a battery tender would be a good idea if you have electric to your storage place.

-Rob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drove the car 150 miles up to my dad's shop and stored it for the winter. My grandpa is was excited to take care of it for me. He going to fix up a few things and take care of it over the winter. Thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't mean to highjack your thread, but I think I have a related ? I just started my Tbird for the first time in two weeks - everytime I have let it sit more than a few days, when I start it, the engine sort of rough, idle all over the place and car shakes a bit. But, within a minute or two, it smoothens out.

Is this normal, and what causes this...the fuel?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts