TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on an 8.8 track lock from a solid axle to fit the irs diff in our birds . no luck locating any info on this subject . scored a solid axle 8.8 with a trac lock really cheap out of a wrecked 97 gt , and i'd like to use it ..:)

·
Registered
623 Posts
The gears will work.

The trac-lok will work. The side gears are the problem. Some remove the circlips on the half shafts and use a solid axle diff. There is a debate whether or not this is acceptable. Grooves can be machined into the solid axle trac-lok side gears to accept IRS half shaft circlips. IRS side gears can also be swapped into a solid axle trac-lok.

·
Banned
998 Posts
You can use the trac-lok I just swapped in 3:73 8.8 W/track-lok from a mustang and did not machine anything and the clips are still on so I can pull the axles if I need to. Tight as can be.

No problems enjoy the new gears and posi too.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
You can assemble them that way, when you have to remove the axles to say change an axle seal you will find you cannot get it out. Really should have taken the advice on this one.
Alan

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you gentlemen . i'll go pull what i need out of it , stash it follow the advice given and go about my merry way . thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
You can use the trac-lok I just swapped in 3:73 8.8 W/track-lok from a mustang and did not machine anything and the clips are still on so I can pull the axles if I need to. Tight as can be.

No problems enjoy the new gears and posi too.
but, have you tried pulling the axles since you installed it?

·
Banned
998 Posts
Yes I had to pull the one side axle back out because the boot had a hole I did not have a problem, that was after about 200 miles so far so good.

Plus I put new seals in at the time. I should not have to mess with it again for another 200,000 miles.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I am sure others have done this to, but I am just being honest and telling it like it is.

I will report back if any problems come up.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Yeah right now I am just enjoying the 3.73 and the posi. My car feels alot more planted with both wheels pulling with the lower gears.

Alot more fun to drive for sure.

·
Registered
836 Posts
ask Kdanner's opinion on this one lol.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that after a certain year, the side gears already have the champher that they need to let the circlips do their thing. Allan, you are the expert on this. Any thruth to that? To me, it makes sense. Why pay for two different gears if one style will work in both applications. I would have done it if I was the diff manufacturer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dain paintme you in the military ???? military brat and spent a few years in lawton and fort sill i did ............. i would say i'll leave the clips out { wrote down what you all suggested in crayon on construction paper so i'd have no prob understanding it! } , and maybe someday i can get to it ........ i would do it to the spare irs outta the 91 but i sold it to a buddy for his 48 pick 'em up . i traded a bent 9 inch with 3.89's in it for the 8.8 . the 9inch was a freebie ..... :D

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that after a certain year, the side gears already have the champher that they need to let the circlips do their thing. Allan, you are the expert on this. Any thruth to that? To me, it makes sense. Why pay for two different gears if one style will work in both applications. I would have done it if I was the diff manufacturer.
Yeh, I've heard that too. I've read anything 1997- is always machined for IRS.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I think that only applies to FRPP gears, I recently tore apart a 98 mustang rearend and they were not machined for IRS.
Alan

1 - 20 of 40 Posts