TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was half expecting to see a sticky that listed what cars came ith what gears. was just wondering if i could pick up a stock pumpkin from the bone yard with a bigger rear gear. i don't wanna go too wild and i figured that a stock deal would be cheaper than having my local tranny shop put a new one in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, and i suppose there's no telling what mine has unless i crawl up under and get the tag code?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol. does the pumpkin have a tag code or will it say straight out? 3.27 sounds good to me! especially after i install a higher stall speed t.c. i don't wanna lose too much highway economy!

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
It's also located on the door tag under AX

the Axle codes are

Conventional / Locking
8 -------------------- M 2.73
Y ---------------------Z 3.08
F ---------------------R 3.45
5 ---------------------E 3.27
6 ---------------------W 3.73

Some of these code's don't apply to certain years

mine in the picture above is E for 3.27 track-lock differential

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, checked mine and it's axle code Y. now time to find an axle code E pumpkin complete and ready to bolt in.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
bah....get 3.73's in a rebuilt track-lok. You'll be MUCH happier than with the 3.27s.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i went that route i wouldn't dare go over 3.55's.

·
Super Moderator
12,657 Posts
Why would you stop at 3.55's and not go up just one more notch to the 3.73's :confused:

Either way their both WAY better than the 3.27's. IMO going from 3.08 to 3.27 is a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Why would you stop at 3.55's and not go up just one more notch to the 3.73's :confused:

Either way their both WAY better than the 3.27's. IMO going from 3.08 to 3.27 is a waste of time.
I kept the 3.27 Track-lok in my car only because it came with it.
It has a nice amount of pep and OK economy for a 5.0.
But If I originally had 3.08's or less I would have defiantly put in 3.73's

If I find a complete Track-lok unit with 3.55's or 3.73's cheep, I might just swap them out one day.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
So I shouldn't go 3.27 from my 2.73?

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
So I shouldn't go 3.27 from my 2.73?
3.27's from 2.73's would make a noticeable difference in acceleration and still get fairly decent mileage.

Just don't forget to change the speedometer gear.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
eh, i don't want any more hassle back there than yanking the axles, switching pumpkins, and putting axles back in. i'm gonna hav enough headaches everywhere else to worry about. so far, it doesn't even look like i'm gonna find a 3.27 trac- lok pumpkin.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
If I go 4.30's I wouldn't be able to afford the gas to make it home.

LOL
I was thinking the same thing. Ha.

3.27's from 2.73's would make a noticeable difference in acceleration and still get fairly decent mileage.

Just don't forget to change the speedometer gear.
Good point. I know where one is. I need to go get the gear. I already pulled the pumpkin.

eh, i don't want any more hassle back there than yanking the axles, switching pumpkins, and putting axles back in. i'm gonna hav enough headaches everywhere else to worry about. so far, it doesn't even look like i'm gonna find a 3.27 trac- lok pumpkin.
The Big E had one for sale quite recently for a good price too.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i went from 3.27 to 3.73...great difference but now i wish i went higher...4.30s are on the works

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I went from 3.73 back to 2.73's for fuel economy. Now I've got a street set-up and a track set-up.

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
3.27 is as big as our car came with
actually, 3.31 is the steepest gear our cars got, found in the automatic 94/95SCs. Only problem is they all had traction control, so all the 3.31s were open rears, no TL.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts