TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which oil should i be using in my motor? it's got 60k miles on it.... i've always had the oil changed at ford.. and never bothered to ask.. they use motorcraft.. that's about all i know.

·
8,239 Posts
10w30 is a good all season oil for florida.

If you needed something for cold starts, I would go with a 5w30.

Motorcraft oil is probably one of the best dino oils out there. Havoline/Chevron are also excellent dino oils.

If you want to go to something synthetic check out mobil1.

Motorcraft 5w20 is actually semi synthetic (group3), and its available at a bargain price. If you want to go to an oil like this, then get your used sample analized and see if its protecting your engine.

JH

·
Registered
871 Posts
I use Mobil 1 in my car 10w30 in NY- she almost has 60,000 miles on her.
This is a good website to learn about different oils and additives:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

·
Registered
987 Posts
Carlover007 said:
I use Mobil 1 in my car 10w30 in NY- she almost has 60,000 miles on her.
This is a good website to learn about different oils and additives:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
I would disagree with this statement... I think that website is setup by retailors to market their products...

Sam

·
Registered
16 Posts
slayer said:

I would disagree with this statement... I think that website is setup by retailors to market their products...

Sam

I disagree with THIS statement. Most anything said on bobistheoilguy.com will not be let by without some sort proof to back it up. Even the hardcore Amsoil fans on there will admit that other synthetics (i.e. Mobil 1, Redline) can perform excellently where as a lot of other places all they do is badmouth their competitors.

As to keep on topic, Chevron/Halvoline oils are excellent and cheap. Motorcraft oils have shown good analysis results. Pennzoil and Castrol GTX are two proven name brands. Mobil 1 is an excellent synthetic at a reasonable price, especially when extending the drain interval a bit. As for weights, I'd use a 5w-30 (or 0w-30) where ANY cold weather is a concern, so as to keep the overhead cam happy. In a warmer climate 10w-30 should be fine.

·
8,239 Posts
I use the guys at blackstone labs.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

They charge 20 bucks and do a great job.

I use 5w30 mobil1 in the truck and 10w30 mobil1 in the car with motorcraft filters.

Bobistheoilguy is one of the only oil related sites I have came across that is not filled with distributors hyping their product. As stated above the havoline and motorcraft are probably the two best dino oils out there now.

JH

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Since Ford recommends 5W-20 in the mod motors and he is having the oil changed by a dealer, wouldn't they be putting 5W-20 in it?

I'm running 10W-30 Mobil 1 in the T-bird. I've still got 1800 miles to decide what I am going to run in the Lightning. I imagine Ford recommends the 5-20 but I haven't checked the owner's manual yet to see. I run Valvoline 5W-30 in my winter beater Ranger. I have a quart of Valvoline 10W-30 that is sitting around from when I used that in the 2V engine in the Bird.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Im not so sure that Bobistheoilguy site is completly independant. There seems to be a few moderaters who set the tone to what is a good oil and the rest just seem to follow . Just for kicks just tell them Valvoline is good oil and watch how many freak out.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I use Havoline 5W-30 with a Pure One filter for the entire 45K miles I've had the car. 125K on the ticker now. No problems, seems to be a good combo for me.

Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts