TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i have a 94 Bird LX 3.8L base model, with drums on the rear axle. I seem to remember seeing 7.5 embossed on my differential cover. I want to change my rear end to a stronger one to accomodate my increasing number of performance mods. I also want rear discs, I want to change my ratio to 3.55 or 3.73 and i want limited slip. Should i replace the whole axle with one from a supercoupe or a V8, or just buy the discs, calipers, hubs and all that, change the gears in my existing axle?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Supercoupes should have everything you need if you can find one. I have also found these parts on some 96-97 lx sport cars. To change the rear to disk you'll need the rear spinldle assy on both sides with calipers on them.You may also need the master cylinder because of the increased volume needed to power the rear calipers. I have purchased the spindle assy's for $75 each at junkyards before, they are getting scarse now though where I am at. Im not sure if your 7.5 shafts will fit the hub splines but someone here could probably help you out with that. If you can wait until the middle of october I'll sell you the 8.8 with limited slip out of my 95 SC. You'll need to change the gears out though, mine are 2.73. Just make sure when you put the rear spindle assys on that you get a new driveshaft nut and tq it to 350 ft.lbs, not 250 like some people have said here before. You will shred a wheel bearing if you tq it to 250. I have already shredded 8 in the last year because of that error.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
the entire rear from a v8 of SC, (might need some work on brake lines if you have discs) and buy the FRPP diff. it has trak-loc and any gears you want already installed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
J-Rob said:
the automatic SC's have 3.27s while the 5 speeds have 2.73's.
why is that? what difference does it make? what is better performance wise?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
dgreig said:

why is that? what difference does it make? what is better performance wise?
it gives them similiar overall gearing so that they performed the same. the 5 speed performs better, but not drastically better out of the box. the gearing change made it so that the biggest difference was power output through the different transmissions. hope that makes sense. reading it now it sounds like jibberish.

typically, a 5 speed will be geared shorter than an automatic, the different rear end gears made the two cars closer. make sense? power through the transmissions would still be better in a 5 speed though, so it had that to its advantage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts