TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey how do you tell what rear end you have?
i have a 1996 4.6l t bird and am looking to switch to 3.73 gears and i am not sure what rearend i have??

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
hey how do you tell what rear end you have?
i have a 1996 4.6l t bird and am looking to switch to 3.73 gears and i am not sure what rearend i have??
What letters/numbers does it say on the door sticker under "AX" or "Axle" ? It's an 8.8" with IRS for sure, but that'll tell you the ratio (if it hasn't been changed).

What XR7-4.6 said works too, lol!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright ill go check out my door real quick! but some guy told me 3.73 gears would help acceleration. but i dont know for sure haha im kinda new with gears. thanks for all your help in advance

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
the AX number is a 5
Axle code 5 is 3.27 Open (non-locking) differential. 3.73 gives you quicker off the line, but hurts highway mpg slightly. Do some searches around here, quite a few have done that swap.

Good Luck & Happy Holidays!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
so was the guy wrong when he said to drop 3.73 gears in there?
No, but it's quite a job. If you've never installed rear gears before, you will HAVE to get some help with it. It's a big job and must be shimmed correctly or you will wind up with a very LOUD rear end that may or may not last long.

And if you're gonna do that, you might as well get a trak-loc carrier to install as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah my shop teacher was a ford tech for 11 years and he said he has done plenty of them haha and we are just getting into gearing and driveline so he said he would just use mine as a demo and do it for me so it kinda works out! ill shadow him so i can learn a thing or two though. should i buy the 3.73 gears for the 8.8 rearend?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so i was browsing around ebay in search of the gearing i need and i came across this and it says for thunderbird 87-94... and mine is a 96? but it is the 8.8 rearend? i dont understand why its not for my car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh alright cool. thanks for all your help clearing everything up xr7 and netkey :D you have been a great help

·
Registered
892 Posts
To repeat a past post (x2) put in a TracLoc at the same time. 3.73 without the TracLoc results in single wheel burn.

Brad

·
Banned
241 Posts
so 3.27 is stock and 3.73 is better off line but rides the rpm's on the highway huh..i have considered doing this also but i tend do be on the freeway alot..i also got a maurder tourque converter from someone, would this help with the drivetrain and then could i just keep the stock gears?? maby that would be a better route than gears

·
Banned
241 Posts
so if you have 3.27 you should no doubt go to 3.73's...?.... and what the deal with 4.10's.?.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
yes many of my buddys run 373 gears in there mustangs its really the best mod you can do to your stock 4.6. they really didnt loose much highway MPGs maybe 1 or 2 if they are cruising at 70mph. high stall TC will drop some in city MPG but you will love it off the line. and really if your going to go fast your going to waste fuel so get over it.

tyring to get these two done on my car now -im broke and in college so trying to get some money for a 3500 stall and 373 gear.

EDIT: 410 is a great gear for these 2v but will cost you a bit more in highway MPG so its up to you

1 - 20 of 21 Posts