TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm having a hard time believing this is normal in this car (Mark VIII).

It seems that the ECM locks the TCC wayyy too early in the low RPM's while still accelerating (locking at about 1200RPM's at around 25 MPH in city driving). This is becoming an annoyance because it bogs the engine down and basically I have to push the accelerator in more (almost halfway through) to unlock the TCC or automatically downshift to get the car moving.

Other than this, the car is driving fine when at speed and on the highway.

Anything else I should be looking at? I don't get any CEL's..

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
A tune will allow you to control lock-up strategy and shift points & pressure.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
Lockup is influenced by many sensors - including but not limited to engine load (MAF sensor), vehicle speed (OSS), engine RPM (crank sensor), transmission fluid temperature (TOT sensor), engine coolant temperature (ECT sensor) and throttle position (TPS).

In the stock program, typically the converter will lockup about a second after the 2-3 shift.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a tune will have to be! Will probably do a trans cooler beforehand.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
ECU Tune will fix - I regularly see Lockup at 32MPH putting around on level road with Stock Size tires with no probs on 93 Octane - But yeah if Plugs & Wires are'nt up to snuff it does'nt like it in Summer w/AC ON - I see you have an LSC w/higher Rear End Gear & maybe other than Stock size Tires to see Lockup at 25 MPH ~ ??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe there's nothing "wrong" with the car, but it's just annoying!

Perhaps the 96's were a little less restrictive with their tuning because of all the stuff I hear about the pre-97's having more umph than the 97-98's.

A tune will have to be in order and there's a few dyno tune shops in my area too.

BTW, I've got deep dish Bulllitts on the car from customwheelshop (apparently I bought their last set) using 275/35's in the rear. But it's the closest match to stock tire height from all the recommendations.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Probably is nothing wrong with it but it's a common complaint on the MKVIII Boards... guys like to bump it up to 40MPH or so - Usually mine Locks Up at 35MPH or so & that;s OK w/me but if running level or downhill it Locks it at 32MPH - & Again the guys with bad Wires / Plugs REALLY whine~!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I suppose I really shouldn’t be on this site; however I found it by accident while looking for some information on a 4R70W transmission concern I was having with the torque convertor having an early lock-up an article posted by SilverEspada on 06-11-2012.
I have a 1980 Fairmont with a 97 Mustang 2v 4.6 engine and complete drive train. The donor car sat for about 7 yrs after an accident and exchanged hands a few times. With a bit of work, I did some repairs and I managed to get it running, Due to the accident damage to the donor car, I was unable and unwilling to drive the car at any speed and was just happy that it would move……. and so I stuffed it into the Fairmont…. All works well except I thought the transmission or PCM was faulty. I knew it wasn’t the wiring, as I am a Ford Auto Electrical Technician and the wiring seems intact and functional.
I was able to manipulate the PIDS in the transmission; Listen for the clicks, (realizing clicks can be tricks) all functions as designed. I decided to go “online” as the transmission technicians didn’t think there was a problem.
After MANY hours of reading on this concern, I found only one other site that stated this was “probably” normal; however I still had no confidence in this shifting sequence. I then stumbled upon this site; it seems there are a few people with the same concern and symptoms. I dug down into the transmission portion, and found a lot of interesting info. I suppose that i have to agree this pattern is normal…. At low speeds; my car has 1-2 great, 2-3 it seems like it goes into torque converter lock up as soon as it goes into third, no codes, no overdrive light blinking, no misfires just chugs along, if I let off the accelerator, the torque convertor unlocks and it goes right into 3rd gear for a while then then the T/C locks up again, tap the brake and the T/C will unlock, no other problems were noted. I had noticed this 4R70W did not do this when cold, only when warm.
I had the same thoughts about a faulty sensor or sensors, it’s really interesting that I had it stuck in my mind there was a (problem) i read so many articles about shift scheduling, but could never find what I was looking for until I found this site!!!
It would appear that a lot of guys also have modified their cars with different engine/transmissions for whatever reasons, I have been playing with this car over the years, different engines, transmissions, drivetrains dashboards etc., all in the name of good ol’ American let’s see if this works……
It should be stated that the caliber of questions and replies on this site is outstanding and very helpful in a gentlemanly way. Your transmission techs and write-ups are great.
I have had a 94 T/Bird 3.8 liter in the past, a superb car that handled great and I used the engine & drivetrain from a MK VII in this car for a few Years, and may go with the MK VIII later. This car is surplus to needs and is therefore a hobby/project but has given a lot of pleasure with a reasonable amount of pain, but i like to swap things out, and this is the vessel to do it with.
I just wanted to say you guys have a great site, and you should be proud of it.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I'd just like to say that reading your post was harder to do than the Organic Chemistry text I'm taking a break from.

Use punctuation, write in distinct sentences, like everyone else here, and you'll get along much better, and people will actually read your posts.

My $0.02.

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like a great project car! Like was said earlier, tuning will allow you to change whatever you want about the transmission functions, including TCC lockup. When you get a chance, make an intro post with pics of your fairmont, and I'm sure it will be received well by the people on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts