TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay last december I wrecked my focus remember? Anyway, I lived in a small town with two body shops. One had a bad reputation, and the other, had a bad reputation. Make a decision. So I chose one. He fixes the car. All he said he fixed was the right side of the IRS (Upper control arm, backing plate, probalby other stuff too) a new radiator, and re painted the front & rear bumpers (they got a little scratched) Ever since I got the car back it's made a lot of noise in the front suspension area (knocking when I turn the wheel when driving slowly or turning the wheel when the car is not moving) it also makes quite a bit of noise when going over speedbumps, and makes like a rattling noise when just driving slowly, like 15MPH or so...I complained to the body shop aobut this a few times and they always gave me the runaround on it, and said everything checked out fine, etc. Also, I never got a written estimate, and I never got any paperwork from the shop when the car was completed. At the time I needed my car back so badly that I didnt care, but the condition of the vehicle has just gotten worse & worse since they fixed it, and now the (new) paint on the rear bumper is cracking apart in a couple spots. I am starting to wonder how things where really handled by the shop and what they actually did vs. what they told me they did, and if the car should have been totaled or even belongs on the road at this point. I ran a carfax on my car, nothing was ever reported on it, so it has a clean title. What can I do? If my car is still screwd up (which it obviously is) then I either want it fixed right or totaled if it's a safety hazard. I just hope that I didnt get screwd and that it's not too late.

Thanks

Earl

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Was your insurance company involved? You may want to call them and ask too, especially if they paid the bill.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The clicking during turns and moaning/whining-type sound at speed is the constant velocity (CV) joints. Look under the car about 18"-24" in from the wheel hub. There will be a small boot. The boot is supposed to cover the CV joint and hold the grease. If it is torn or missing, you are on borrowed time. They will lock up eventually. Not fun.

The good news is they are relatively easy to replace if you have access to a lift and some air tools. I think they cost about $150 for both on my buddy's Sentra. We spent about half a day working on them. I would imagine a shop would want $400 or so.

If it is an insurance claim, the insurance company would have wanted an itmeized repair bill. That should suffice to fix what is broken. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Our Focus used to click when it was new and never wrecked, more of a poping when turning, not fast or speed related. They said something about the rack and pinion unit popping when turning. I bet thats what your hearing because it seems to be a common Focus symptom. Mine was replaced under warranty although its nothing major and doubtfull your wreck had anything to do with it.
Also, check your front springs for breakage, they are covered under an extended warranty from Ford for people who may live in salty climates or travel through them. I plan to have the Ford dealer look at mine just for the heck of it. The break is apparently hard to see, but causes symptoms.
I also believe you suffer from "wreck-I-tis". Thats where after a wreck, you just have a gut feeling that something is wrong with your car and it will never be the same. Everything wrong with it gets blamed on the wreck. See this at the body shop all the time. Its hard to overcome, but the experiences of other Focus owners help with it. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts