TCCoA Forums banner

What should I do for more/good sound exhaust/engine

6K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  ThunderStangLX 
#1 · (Edited)
looking to get more sound out of her I don’t want it to sound bad so kinda iffy on what to do or if you guys have any ideas on what I should do with her please let me know! Don’t get me wrong there’s sound to it but I want it louder just not obnoxious loud thanks in advance also not looking for anything specific so just throw some ideas out please

See less See more
#2 ·
Greetings from a tad to the north. I see you had the same fog we did this morning. :)

Are you asking about stereo sound or engine/exhaust sound?

Have you had a chance to do some reading on existing topics in either the audio/electronics or exhaust sections, depending on your needs, for what others have done?

#3 ·
Stereo sound or engine/exhaust sound?

Have you had a chance to do some reading on existing topics in either the audio/electronics or exhaust sections for what others have done?
Greetings!! Yeah had a little bit of fog this morning but My apologies should of rephrased engine/exhaust sound! And yeah I’ve looked at a lot of things but still not sure

#4 ·
Moving to the exhaust section. I've got Dynomax Super Turbos on mine and I have a short YouTube video I made close to 10 years ago to share sound clips. The sound is restrained and mellow which I like but there's a bit of a drone at 1800-2000ish RPM. I'm not a big fan of super loud on these cars though.

#6 ·
I have a full stock exhaust and I took an angle grinder and hacked the mufflers off. It sounds surprisingly good. Not very loud just a little of that sweet sweet V8 sound. Be forewarned there is some drone and some exhaust smell in the mornings when first starting the car.

#22 ·
So went to muffler shop was looking to get the glass packs but somehow turned out to muffler delete and I guess he said he straight piped it as well can hear a different sound but not anything super different still looking to get it louder noticed I do have 3 cats might delete those and just put some o2 bungs

#24 ·
Many just do the 3rd cat delete (or some gut it if funds are lacking) as its simpler and doesn't throw a code. With a y adapter put in its place it will be louder.

What did he straight pipe? The main section with 2 pipes or just a single main pipe replacement from the 3rd cat?

#25 ·
People really misuse the term straight pipes, to me it means straight pipes from exhaust manifolds or headers straight to the bumper without any cats, resonators, mufflers or even a crossover. Pipes in place of the mufflers isn’t straight pipes, that’s just a delete, the diameter and pinch points of the factory piping between the 3rd cat keeps the exhaust pretty mellow in volume, even deleting the cats won’t change volume much(it’ll just make it raspy and poppy)

#28 ·
Much more to it, but basically of you have exhaust to the back of the car, there's only so much volume with a stick or mildly modified engine. You want volume, you have to make horsepower.

My nephew had a 94, with muffler delete and in their place had 18-24" long 3-3.5" tips. The extra size seemed to make it a touch louder. They were a bit big for my liking, but not too bad.

#31 ·
All These videos are Open kooks headers with Trick Flow heads and cams. Loud, but not too loud really.

#32 ·
Here are a few videos of the car after the exhaust was hooked up. This is with 2.25 inch pipes, midmount Magnaflow 11385 muffler. No mufflers in the rear. This was a very common setup for years on TCCOA with many members.

#34 ·
That’s a muffler delete with the new pipes joined to the stock Y pipe. Actually a nice job for this, when I did the muffler delete I just used straight pipe extensions with the cuts right on the edge of the muffler body, leaving little room for the slip connection, yours they actually bent pipes to replace the 90° sections of the factory piping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.