TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Here is my sons car. It has Trick Flow heads and cams. Kooks Headers. Custom bent 2.25 inch pipes with a Magnaflow mid mount 11385 muffler. No mufflers in the back.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
So went to muffler shop was looking to get the glass packs but somehow turned out to muffler delete and I guess he said he straight piped it as well can hear a different sound but not anything super different still looking to get it louder noticed I do have 3 cats might delete those and just put some o2 bungs

I am running straight pipes. Sounds great and not too loud either. My 2001 Lightning with mufflers was way louder.

So went to muffler shop was looking to get the glass packs but somehow turned out to muffler delete and I guess he said he straight piped it as well can hear a different sound but not anything super different still looking to get it louder noticed I do have 3 cats might delete those and just put some o2 bungs
Many just do the 3rd cat delete (or some gut it if funds are lacking) as its simpler and doesn't throw a code. With a y adapter put in its place it will be louder.

What did he straight pipe? The main section with 2 pipes or just a single main pipe replacement from the 3rd cat?

People really misuse the term straight pipes, to me it means straight pipes from exhaust manifolds or headers straight to the bumper without any cats, resonators, mufflers or even a crossover. Pipes in place of the mufflers isn’t straight pipes, that’s just a delete, the diameter and pinch points of the factory piping between the 3rd cat keeps the exhaust pretty mellow in volume, even deleting the cats won’t change volume much(it’ll just make it raspy and poppy)

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Many just do the 3rd cat delete (or some gut it if funds are lacking) as its simpler and doesn't throw a code. With a y adapter put in its place it will be louder.

What did he straight pipe? The main section with 2 pipes or just a single main pipe replacement from the 3rd cat?
I’m not to sure I’ll have to give a look under thinking about doing that 3rd cat delete here soon but just got a check engine light yesterday code p1407 gotta figure out that now

People really misuse the term straight pipes, to me it means straight pipes from exhaust manifolds or headers straight to the bumper without any cats, resonators, mufflers or even a crossover. Pipes in place of the mufflers isn’t straight pipes, that’s just a delete, the diameter and pinch points of the factory piping between the 3rd cat keeps the exhaust pretty mellow in volume, even deleting the cats won’t change volume much(it’ll just make it raspy and poppy)
Pretty sure he did the other version of straight pipes because ur version is what I was thinking that makes the sound pretty loud most the time I was confused starting up my car as well has taking off it wasn’t loud like I’ve heard straight pipe befor

Much more to it, but basically of you have exhaust to the back of the car, there's only so much volume with a stick or mildly modified engine. You want volume, you have to make horsepower.

My nephew had a 94, with muffler delete and in their place had 18-24" long 3-3.5" tips. The extra size seemed to make it a touch louder. They were a bit big for my liking, but not too bad.

In their stock form there cars aren't that loud even with the entire exhaust off. I have a video of my sons car with the kooks headers and Trick Flow heads and cams with no exhaust. That's louder, but not as loud as a 460 with no exhaust.

Pretty sure he did the other version of straight pipes because ur version is what I was thinking that makes the sound pretty loud most the time I was confused starting up my car as well has taking off it wasn’t loud like I’ve heard straight pipe befor
If you still have the 3 cats its not straight piped, did the shop bend new pipe back and Y them out, or reuse sections of the factory pipe?

I agree that you can only get so loud but we're not talking top fuel dragsters here, you can get the same volume as 4.6 and 5.0 H.O. Mustangs with a similar combination of pipe and mufflers. The only real volume deficit 4.6s have is at low rpm/idle, which is largely a result of the cams and no overlap to give it that chugging idle you hear on old muscle cars

All These videos are Open kooks headers with Trick Flow heads and cams. Loud, but not too loud really.

Here are a few videos of the car after the exhaust was hooked up. This is with 2.25 inch pipes, midmount Magnaflow 11385 muffler. No mufflers in the rear. This was a very common setup for years on TCCOA with many members.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
If you still have the 3 cats its not straight piped, did the shop bend new pipe back and Y them out, or reuse sections of the factory pipe?

I agree that you can only get so loud but we're not talking top fuel dragsters here, you can get the same volume as 4.6 and 5.0 H.O. Mustangs with a similar combination of pipe and mufflers. The only real volume deficit 4.6s have is at low rpm/idle, which is largely a result of the cams and no overlap to give it that chugging idle you hear on old muscle cars
This is what he did it was one dude he does all of it but this is what he did all I need are some good looking tips to put on

Attachments

That’s a muffler delete with the new pipes joined to the stock Y pipe. Actually a nice job for this, when I did the muffler delete I just used straight pipe extensions with the cuts right on the edge of the muffler body, leaving little room for the slip connection, yours they actually bent pipes to replace the 90° sections of the factory piping

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I wonder how much running the pipes out the back of the car like this affects the sound vs. what I did with just hacking the mufflers off.

That's a clean install man, nice.
Appreciate the guy who did this actually runs a muffler shop by himself he does first come first serve takes his time and like you see he does an amazing job

Appreciate the guy who did this actually runs a muffler shop by himself he does first come first serve takes his time and like you see he does an amazing job
Yes, he does nice work.

Your TBird is a 94 so it came stock with a resonator/muffler after the 3rd cat - If you want to make the exhaust a bit louder still its pretty easy to have the shop take off that res./muffler and replace it with a small section of straight pipe. May give you the bit more of loudness and sound you want for minimal $ without touching the 3rd cat for now. Shop would likely charge maybe $20-$25 to do that.

Check underneath after the 3rd cat and look to see if you still have the res./muffler there.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.