TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Gonna try and make a long story short here. I bought a 97 4.6 bird night before last for $500 and planned to make it my new daily driver because the cougar is getting a high hp 4 valve in a couple weeks and I don't want to have to depend on the cougar as a daily driver. This bird is in ALMOST perfect condition. I say almost because the transmission just went last night :(. But hey, what can you expect for a $500 perfectly running, and good looking car. So no big deal because I have another 4r70w that is freshly built in my shop from my 5 speed swap on my cougar. The good transmission that I have is a 94 and was rebuilt stock by a shop here in town. I'm going with a 2600 stall converter and plan to do the jmod and aftermarket cooler when I put this one in. So here's the question. I've heard that the 96-97 valve bodies are better, so should I remove the vb from the trans in the car, do the jmod on that one, and install it on the 94? Or should I just jmod the one in the 94 and not use anything from the 97?

Thanks guys and sorry for the long story for such a short question, I just like to give a little background :)

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,367 Posts
Yeah 96/97 VBs are better than 94/95, but 99+ are better than 96/97, 02 are better than 99, etc. etc....

In general, the consensus is to start with a 99+ case and valve body for the best of all worlds.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, thanks man. That's all I needed to know. I had seen a few people say that and wanted to verify that there's nothing special I need to know when putting a newer vb on an older trans. I wish I had a newer trans, but I don't so this will have to do. It's only had 8k on it before swapped to a t45, so it should be perfect for a daily driver. I'm keeping this car mostly stock anyways as I already have a highly modified supercoupe and fixing to be an even higher modified cougar. Just want a good strong trans in this car that will get me where I need to go and be a little more fun to drive than stock :D

·
Super Moderator
7,564 Posts
If this is just a daily driver, I say don't worry about it and throw it in the car as is, then if that trans eventually goes, get a 99+ trans to replace it, or just do another 5-speed swap.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this is just a daily driver, I say don't worry about it and throw it in the car as is, then if that trans eventually goes, get a 99+ trans to replace it, or just do another 5-speed swap.
Both of my other cars are 5 speed, so I think I'm going to keep this one auto, just in case I get tired of shifting sometimes. Lol, and I was having torque converter problems out of it before I took it out, so I don't want to use the same converter. I had the problems ever since I put it back in from the rebuild, so I think the builder went really cheap on the converter or something. Either way, I'm gonna go ahead and throw a stall in it just because I've only owned one vehicle with a stall in it, and I was VERY fun to drive, so I want another :). Plus, the jmod is free except for gasket cost, so why not go ahead and do that? :tongue:

P.S.
My supercoupe was also supposed to stay stock as a daily driver and it now has a roll cage and everything, so this one might not stay stock. I can't seem to keep one of these cars stock for some reason. Lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts