TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well right before winter came, I blew the headgaskets on my 3.8 thunderbird. Since I store the car in the Winter it really didn't matter to me. Now that I took everyhting apart and had the heads checked out, they came back with several large cracks in them. So now what do I do, just buy new heads, split port swap, new motor. Money really isn't an issue but time is (which also includes finding the parts) so no v8 swaps for me.

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
I say get a split-port top-end, and swap it over.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Split port swap, although easy to do, is nearly impossible to get to run right. Very few tuners will work with the IV computer....this is where I am stuck now.

Swap in a newer TBird motor 96/97 from a junk yard and be done with it.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Not knowing the condition of your current car, I would say now would be the time to upgrade to a nice 4.6L 96 - 97 MN12.

Here's my reasoning:
Buy it, drive it, done deal...
Dollar for dollar you'll probably be close to even especially if you factor in your labor to repair/upgrade your '90.
Newer vehicle, more reliable engine, more potential
Fuel economy is comparable to the 3.8L
Repair/performance parts are readily available for the 4.6L

However, if your 90 is pristine, that would weigh heavily into repairing your current one.

But just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually my 90 is in MINT MINT MINT condition (I can't stress that enough, not a spec of rust on the car, not a tear in the cloth, not winter driven, not rain driven, and keept out of the sun on really hot days. In fact when I tell people that my car is a 1990 they are shocked) It was in my family since new and I already put alot of my time, money and effort into making it what it is, plus it has alot of sentimental value aswell. I really do want to do the split port swap, but as someone mentioned above getting it to run right is hard?

·
Registered
674 Posts
you might PM racecougar, his name is rod and he has done a split port swap. His car is a DD, so i assume its running ok, lol. I dont know if he did just the top end or the whole motor, but he should be able to answer a lot of your questions (if he doesnt chime in on the thread)

-Brad

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
What makes you say it's hard to get a split-port motor to run properly? I've never heard that before. Plus all you are really changing is the intake design, so I don't see why it should be so hard.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Actually my 90 is in MINT MINT MINT condition (I can't stress that enough, not a spec of rust on the car, not a tear in the cloth, not winter driven, not rain driven, and keept out of the sun on really hot days. In fact when I tell people that my car is a 1990 they are shocked) It was in my family since new and I already put alot of my time, money and effort into making it what it is, plus it has alot of sentimental value aswell. I really do want to do the split port swap, but as someone mentioned above getting it to run right is hard?
Cool!! Then repairing/upgrading it is probably the route to go. I don't know jack about the 3.8L, so I can't really offer any help there.

Good luck!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone that has done the split port swap, I just want to know some info. What exactely do I need to complete the swap? (other then the ovbious, ie, heads, upper/lower intake, fuel rail, headers) Any potential problems that you ran into while completing the swap?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Changes in compression from the different head design, and the vol of air. Both are no big deal, if you can find someone to tune the car. The IV is limited sofware wise. The SCT stuff for the V seems to work well with mods, which is why the Mustang people, and others 94+ haven't had problems.

Heads, intake, fuel rail, you'll have to decide to stay distributor, or go the newer coil set up. With a distributer you will lose the EGR. Wiring connectors and harness will have to be changed/lenghtned, injectors, fab up some sort of intake tube, vacume line fab, MAF of some sort...are you a MAP car? May need a new hood, depends what intake you go with...ect.

Jim

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Looks good. I will definitly be contacting them. My car however does not have a MAF so im guessing this will be an expensive problem since it looks like the super six kit does not come with one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts