TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know crap about cars really, but am saving up to do what ever to my car. What do you guys recommend doing first, and explain what each thing does please. I am looking at what you guys recommend for other people, but have no idea what each thing does. Well any ways, help a newb out, heres my 3.8 V6 1990 Tbird :

Thanks.

I am thinking of so far:

New paint job
Tint every window
Nitrous

New rims of course, but thats for last. What else you guys recommend?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the 3.8 sucks :-/

So basically, a good nitrous still wont help this baby up? My orginal plan was to make it all black.....tail light covers..all windows tint....than some nice beats. But I don't know about that any more. I have a need for speed lately......

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
J.Miller said:
I say a nice stereo, rims and sway bar are good bets. The 3.8L is not fast but can be made into a nice ride.

Oh no. the 3.8ers will get me for this one. :)

YAR! :D Actually I can see where people come from when they make that statement. But with a few nice mods you can have a nice ride faster than it used to be and will still whoop on most of the local ricers. I'm pretty busy right now so I'll just list a few things and then elaborate on it later.

KN cone filter with cold air intake tube.
ASP underdrive crank pulley
FRPP plug wires
advacne timnig to 18*
32c spark plugs
nice toned exhaust, possibly with 96/97 shorties.
electric fan
180* thermostat

Those are all pretty cheap things. Again I'll elaborate later when my bsuy schedule clears up. OOOOOOR anyone else can chime in and save me some time :D

-Thomas

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, cant wait till you sum it up.

You got an estimate on how much all that would cost? Thanks bro.

·
8,978 Posts
Okay, I also forgot to add a Flex Spacer into that list so here's the explanations

Flex Spacer -- plastic spacer that fits between upper and lower intake manifold. Adds between 2-6 rear wheel horse power and a constant 7rw torque.

KN cone filter with cold air intake tube. -- replaces that air box and rubber tube along with the air silencer that is below the airbox, this is the most common first mod. 1-2rwhp

ASP underdrive crank pulley -- replaces factory crank shaft pulley (the bottom pulley on the engine) and it is smaller than the factory piece. This frees up a lot of paracistic loss that is caused by the drag of all the accessories on the engine, ie: alternator, water pump, power steering pump, etc. 6-10rwhp

FRPP plug wires -- better electrical conductivity and better insulation of the wires. Adds a good umph. minimal gains, but efficiency of engine improves.

advacne timing 18* -- requires a timing light. if you're interested in this mod PM me and I'll go through it more thuroughly. But basically you rotate the distributor clockwise to advance the spark timing in the engine and increases power. Also requires use of higher octane fuel to prevent pre-detonation in combustion chambers

32c spark plugs -- also helps rpevent pre-detonation if you advance your timing

180* thermostat -- Another thing to add to help rpevent pre-detonation

nice toned exhaust, possibly with 96/97 shorties. -- minimal gains should be expected from this on a stock or lightly modified 3.8 litre car. But it sounds nice and will help prevent the blowing of head gaskets.

electric fan -- goes on same theory as the ASP pulley. Takes the drag off of the clutch fan and gives it back to the engine by making it electronically controlled.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Thomas

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
Thomas said:

Those are all pretty cheap things. Again I'll elaborate later when my bsuy schedule clears up. OOOOOOR anyone else can chime in and save me some time :D

-Thomas
Uhhh, busy schedule, let's not lie to the newbies, you don't get to be an incredible postwhore like yourself with a busy schedule Thomas, come now! At least you elaborated for the poor boy.:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet thanks man, do you know where I can buy this stuff at? You got an estimate on how much it would all cost?

·
8,978 Posts
Flex Spacer -- Flex is his name on TCCoA, you can PM him for info about his spacers.

KN cone filter with cold air intake tube. -- Buy cone filter for 40 bucks at any auto parts store, then a couple feet of 3" exhaust pipe and a couple rubber plumbing elbows from Lowe's. total cost is about 80 bucks.

ASP underdrive crank pulley -- rpm-mustangs.com sells them. or you can look on eBay too.

FRPP plug wires -- Buy from Dan Newman at Joe Cooper Ford. His email is [email protected] My guess is somewhere around 40 bucks.

advacne timing 18* -- rental of a timing light. Mine was 15 bucks for the entire day.

32c spark plugs -- 6 bucks or so.

180* thermostat -- $6-7

nice toned exhaust, possibly with 96/97 shorties. -- Can get 96-97 shorty headers from a junkyard for around 100 dollars. You need the EGR tube and a custom down tube for the driver side made. I'd have an exhaust shop weld in a nice flowmaster muffler in place of the resonator, then cut off the rear muffler and split it out to two chrome tips. Cost would be about 250-300 for entire setup

electric fan -- 140 with radiator temp sensor

-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
92CougLS said:

Uhhh, busy schedule, let's not lie to the newbies, you don't get to be an incredible postwhore like yourself with a busy schedule Thomas, come now! At least you elaborated for the poor boy.:D
Yeah I skipped an entire semesters worth of class so I was doing all the homework from the whole semester in one night. Not a good idea I tell you hhhhwat.
-Thomas

·
Registered
294 Posts
You could contact these guys, his nickname is Mr Horsepower for a good reason.
Clay Smith Racing Cams
I used to live near them and had a cam made...it really woke up power.
Good luck, BMan.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
if it was mine i would go with:

sc ground effects
89-93 sc front bumber (same bumper as 92-93 lx)
lose the side molding or replace it with 94-95 side molding
96-97 door handles
17" cobra r's
lowered on eibach's
tint
nice custom stereo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts