TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2001 Honda CRV with 19k miles last weekend for a killer price that I just couldn't refuse. She's silver and pretty basic with only FWD. Does anyone have experience modding one of these? Any online forums I can peruse? The power just isn't there and I want to do something mild with it like a Jackson Racing supercharger or maybe a 50 shot. It has no warranty and I need to maintain its reliability.

She'll be a winter driver/grocery getter for the most part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My fiance has a 2000 Honda CRV. If yours is a 2001 then it should be on the same drivetrain as hers. Motor is a 2.0l (B20Z) with [email protected] / [email protected] I has what they call 'real time 4wd'. Basically it is a FWD until you lose traction then all 4 wheels engage. Gas mileage is not the greatest because of this and you lose some power also.

Small things have been done to hers. They don't make a whole lot of aftermarket parts for the CRV. Mainly because it didn't take off like they planned. Here are some items readlily available for the CRV:

- Lowering springs
- Jackson Racing supercharger
- Exhaust (quite expensive)
- Wheels (5X100- plenty of options available)
- Cam gears (no use unless you have aftermarket cams)

Some items you will have to research to make fit:

- GSR intake (I have this on hers)
- Header (from a 99 Civic Si- research this)
- Cams (you will have to dig and research)
- Turbo kit (not one specifically for- have to modify and existing one)

Like I have said I have done small things to hers. Because of the '4wd' platform you will lose some performance. She can not make up her mind if she is going to keep it or not and I don't want to waste my time researching and putting on parts to have her get rid of it. All in all it is a cool 'truck'. Just depends how far you want to go with it. Hope this helps.
:D

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait, so all CRVs are 4WD?.....or a variant of that? There's no standard FWD and then the option of a "4WD?"

How does it work launching the car? I don't have it up here yet so I haven't driven her much. But, if I had enough power to break the front tires loose, would it automatically go to AWD?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Transfer case like. The tranny cannot be used in a regular honda for engine swaps(look below*). It kinda works like 'traction control'. Only when you need traction. It seems ok but, I can tell you that it slows down the process of going fast.

The paticular motor that is in the CRV (B20Z) is very popular in the Honda crowd as it has TORQUE unlike the rest of the motors. In a smaller car like a hatchback civic with camshafts and tuning(turbo if used) these can be quite fast. It is somewhat a variant of the LS motor in the acura integra. The LS motor was great for turbocharging as it's compression ratio was low enough to support boosting.

*When people buy these engines they typically only get the engine because the tranny is based on the 'real time 4wd' design and cannot be used.

Just check yours out when you get a chance. She has an EX model. The intake that I grafted on it seemed to open it up a bit but, you still don't feel like you are going anywhere. Just the loud intake is what you hear. (CRV's are heavy!)

Found this on Car Stats homepage :

- 9.4 second 0-60 times
- 17.1 second quarter mile times
- 80mph trap speed

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow...17.1. That is a far cry from my truck.

I guess I won't be having as much fun with the new beater as I thought. Oh well, more money for my real toys...

Have you ever thought about spraying the CRV? Even a small 50 shot might surprise a few ricers....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like I said before. She doesn't know if she wants to keep it or not. Kinda a waste of my time with it.

I have owned a Hot Honda Civic and a Ford Focus that I used to play with alot. I am outta sync with those cars now. I used to love blowing the doors off of ricers in my 'more than twice their weight' Lincoln Mark VIII :D

Seriously though, It all depends on what you want it to be. I am currently wrestling with the idea of keeping the Bird on account of the motor problem that has plaqued me recently. I am almost thinking of going with something different.

I definitely like the Lightning that you have. That is something I wouldn't mind having in my driveway. Got timeslips for it? I am looking to purchase an older 87 Honda Interceptor F2 in a couple of weeks that has been totally redone. That should solve my fast tendencies....... :cool:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics of the Lightning:

http://www.f150online.com/galleries/albumview.cfm?num=6515

Best ET last spring was 12.9 at 107 on street tires. She wears Nitto DRs now but no new times. Dynoed 410/508 last Spring. I've dumped a LOT of money into her (Recaro's, HIDs, TV, $1,500 custom/Hotchkis suspension, almost all the bolt-ons)...

Waiting for the C6 now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts