TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come into a little bit of money from what was left over after paying for school. I'm willing to play with about $2000, at the absolute most. There are some things I want to do to the T-bird, but am unsure as to what that is. Here are my options:

1) Have the hood, roof, and quarter panel paint redone ($?)
2) Have RobertP install a PI triple plate torque converter (less than $800)
3) Have a set of Trick Flow heads installed ($2000 + labor)
4) Install a Trick Flow intake manifold. ($800 + other things)

·
Super Moderator
9,140 Posts
The heads won't be taken full advantage of until you have a good converter. Same with the intake. They both shine at higher RPM.

If you do paint, I'd say save up and do the whole car at once. The oxidizing clearcoat issue will come to bite you on whatever you don't have repainted.

You don't really need a triple plate converter, but I would say a higher stall converter should be next on your list, followed by a built trans to support revving to a higher RPM (they don't like 6000+ RPM, built correctly 6500-7000 isn't a problem), which will enable you to take advantage of better flowing intake and heads.

THAT SAID... Get the converter and trans taken care of now, then decide if you want paint or engine work. Then save up and do it all at once.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
If you have $2000 to play with, that means you could afford to do both the Trick-flow intake and higher stall converter. I'm with terminator on the paint should wait until you can do it all at once, and $2000 is nowhere near enough for a quality overall paint job.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Looking at your mods list, I'd say do the paint work. You have some go-fast, handle-good goodies on there, why not make the Bird look better?

You already have a M8 converter & PI intake so #2 & #4 won't give you as much bang-for-the-buck.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about the converter because Rob offered me a good price on it and I know it is a much higher stall than what I have now, 3800 IIRC. The clearcoat on the hood is pealing. The clear coat on the roof is worn and the paint is fading. The clear on the passenger rear panel is cracking because it wasn't done right. The rest of the car looks good. According to Robert, the heads would make the biggest difference.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I might do the heads anyway if Rob shows me a price I can't refuse. I'm thinking of using the 38cc heads for a lot more compression (about 11.2:1). Plus, they make more power all the way around and it sets the stage for other upgrades. Not only that, the intake manifold will seal to the heads much better. Even with sticking to a stock PI intake manifold, it will still make more power, hands down.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Save up a little more dough, and get a blower.. :tongue:

Rayo..
That can always come afterwards! lol I kinda want to stay N/A for now. At least when I have the heads, I won't have to replace them. Plus, new valve stem seals, so I'll lose less oil between oil changes. Uncorking the bottle, I will be doing.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm doing it. Heads it will be. Trick Flow 38cc's! 11.2:1 compression ratio, here I come!

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oops! lol. I've got two 15's with drag radials on them already. I've been loaded down with work, plus school is getting ready to start. I'll have a few days off later this coming week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts