TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want more power and i know i wont get it out of my 3.8 LX. i put a ton of money and time in this car by putting costum paint job,spoiler,wheels,tranny(that was a pain me and my dad did it)exc. what should i do

1. Sell my car out right and buy a practically all stock Thunderbird SC Supercharged
or
2.Sell my car without a few things like wheels and system and buy a thunderbird V8 89-93 5.0
or
3. Save my money and put a v8 or supercharged motor in my car.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,676 Posts
Unless you've got the money, the only good use for a 3.8 N/A is a daily driver. If you can afford it, I'd just get either the 5.0 or SC. If I win the lottery, I would beef up the 3.8 N/A as a side project. A V8 or SC has more potential - It just depends on what you prefer and how much you want to spend.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a 94 3.8L LX, and I spent $150 Canadian and my car is already faster than a stock V8. Not many people know about what's available for the N/A V6 engine, but there's a lot. Not as much as for a 5.0 or a 4.6, but there's a decent amount. It also depend on how far into the engine you are willing to dive. The inexpensive mods like a K&N filter, MAF (not necesarily cheap), ram air, chip, throttle body, etc are all pretty easy to install, but if you are willing to take the engine apart at all, a new cam, lifters, roller rockers, port and polish, headers, rear end gears, list goes on - a N/A 3.8L will easily put out way over 200hp. I kill new stock preludes and new Mustang V6s with only $150 under the hood. well...maybe $200.

·
Administrator
8,694 Posts
What have you done?

You've only spent $150 - $200 Canadian on your car and you're faster than a stock V8 and the newer V6 Rustangs! Care to share your secrets? I wish that's all I needed to spend to get mine that fast. Some of the easy to install inexpensive mods you mentioned I already have on my car and I know I'm not ready to run with a stock V8. Swapping in a set of P+P heads and a nice cam with a different gear in the rear might do it for me. LMK Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah man i want to know to what you doing for that. i got a k&n and removed air silencer. For the # i know i cant beat a v8. not even close. i raced a Mark VIII last night that was a v8 and got my *** kicked. The kid had that car chipped up but he didnt tell me till after we raced.
Josh i need more power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
First of all Josh, The Mark VIII have an extremely powerful engine - 280 horses and my god the torque! So I couldn't even begin to dream of beating that, but I've raced a '94 or '95 (don't know which one) V8, and it was a fairly even race, but I definitly pulled on him a little bit. I've read to run 0-60mph in like 8.7 seconds. V6 Mustangs are about the same, maybe a bit slower. I have the normal everyday mods, but I also have a fairly aggressive cam in there. I guess my $200 figure may be a bit misleading, because my dad works as a partsman, and I get everything at an awesome discount. My cam is not new, its just a new grind on the stock cam, and I got it done for $80. The performance gain is incredible. I punch it from a standstill and i spin the tires hard. I would definitly recommend a cam to any 3.8L owner. I also am running the car with no muffler and no resonator, if that makes any difference?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts