TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the local yard today getting a rear brake caliper bracket for my bird. The only one they had for me was on a Mark VIII. The guy who took me out to it was telling me a little story about that car.....

Somebody had a super nice clean Mark, decided they wanted custom paint. They takes it to a shop and about $5,000 later have a blue/purple/black paint job on it. The kind that changes color depending on how you look at it....is it called "irridescent" or something? Anyway, two months later the Mark's tranny gives out. Soooo, the owner (wait for it.......wait for it.......) JUNKED the car out to this salvage yard! :eek::eek: Then when we got to the car, it was just as he described.

I'm sorry I didn't bring a cam to get a pic of this car to show you, and this place doesn't normally allow people to go back there and pick parts off stuff. The body was still sweet, but had all the normal things scavenged off it already. I walked around this car a few times, watching the colors come out of it, shaking my head all the way. Unreal.
I simply told the guy, "Must be nice to have more money than to know what to do with it" and got to work on getting that caliper part I needed. Staring at the air ride bag the whole time. The guy got probably what, $50? $100? for scrap price?

Sheesh.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
How ravaged was it? Expensive stuff missing? you should buy it if its not to bad and they would let it go for a decent price. That is if the guy wasn't lying about it just being the trans.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno about trying to buy it. I've tried that in the past and only got two places with that: "No" and "where".

Maybe it's a salvage law in this state or something?

Everytime I tried, I got shot down. Either they flat-out refused to sell, citing some paperwork crap that would have to be done, an inspection, etc. or they wanted way too much $$ for what it was worth.

Last car I tried to nab out of a slavage yard was my friend's '72 Maverick Grabber. His mom junked it after he passed away. First time I was told $500 for the car. I came back with the $$, and was told $700. I came back with that and was told it couldn't be sold, as it was salvage material. Bah. I at least bought the Grabber hood off it for $35which I sat on for about a year then sold it at a swap meet for $300.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I was at a local yard last week, and there was a 95% complete 1980 Porsche 928 sitting there. All that I could see missing was wheels and the intake tubes. I'd go get it if I had room for it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah,I needed a front header panel for my '92 cougar and the '95 I got it from was nicer looking than what I have. I guess some people don't want to do major repairs to a 10+ year old car nowadays.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My 97 Cougar was within $500 of being totaled for a bent rear subframe behind the rear tire. You can't see any damage unless you look for it but the bill was over $4000. Salvage yard offered $300 for the car to the insurance company so I was able to buy it back for that amount. Car looks near mint inside and out and drives just fine with that slight bend in the frame since its behind everything. With used car values in the gutter and repair bills so high its no wonder some nice cars are crushed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts