TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recived my lincon ls spare wheel. The tire is very worn on it and I want to replace it. I have looked at a couple of replacement tires one being a 215 55 17 and the other being a 215 60 17 tire. the 215 55 17 tire is 26.3 inches tall compared to the other 27.1 inches tall. Have any of you done this? What lug nuts do I need to run this spare tire on my bird and do I require a spacer to run this spare? If so how thick of a spacer?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Look at the lug holes, if they are tapered like the wheels you have now, they use the same lug nuts, BUT it is likely they are not tapered, and you need the specific ones from the LS, something like http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=970658

Did you ask if they could get a replacement T temporary spare tire? I replaced the temp spare in my 79 Zephyr at a tire store with another temp spare.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
IIRC, when running the LS wheels you do need a different type of lug-nut, as pictured in Bangster's link. I highly suggest NOT getting the Ford lug (they mushroom), at the time I bought my set I used the Chrysler Sebring Convertible lug (don't know the part number). They've held up very well, no corroding/mushroominging etc.

But due to the depth of the nut past the washer, you may need to either double washer the nut or have a spacer that has big enough of a hole around the stud to allow the shank of the nut to not touch the rotor. Either the bottom of the nut hits the brake rotor, or the end of the nut pops out from the stud bottoming out. Can't remember which.

I'm running big fatties (255/55/17 rear, 255/50/17 front) on my LS wheels, but since the car has been parked for a few years now I can't remember all the details with how+why my setup is the way it is.

Oh, and I think the spacers I used were 7/16", just enough to keep the fat fronts from rubbing the spindle. With a skinny 215 you may not need one.

·
Registered
859 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts