TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Cobra Bilstein Sport rear shocks and Tokico Blue fronts for my '92 LX 5.0. I have stock springs. What springs will work best with the shocks I'm getting?

Sport?
SC stock?
Vogtland?

I think the hard thing to match is the front because I have a heavy V8 and the Tokico shocks are not overly stiff based on reading here in the forums. Since I don't think I will find new factory SC or Sport springs I am thinking the Vogtland are the way to go and the 1" lowering looked to rate softer if I can get them.

Street and highway car here. I was thinking about a stiffer front sway bar but a lot of threads show fitment problems for the ADCO bars.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Sport and sc springs are the same thing. Why not Tokico springs?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lobo I'm interested.

XR7-4.6 you worry me that vogtlands will be too stiff for the Tokico Blues.

I did not consider Tokico springs since I have not read much about them here.

Considering price the Vogtlands are the closest to used stock springs.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shocks were among the first things I did when I bought my car 15+ years ago. I was careless and cheap and did not replace any mounting parts and I got crunchy noise going over speed bumps. What do I need to get to eliminate noise?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,494 Posts
I think the blues are about 10% too soft than ideal for the available lowering springs on the market, they're still worlds better than the Gabriel/Monroe/KYB alternatives though, and with progressive rates the the Vogtlands might be a better match. Linear springs such as the Tokicos bring out their worse qualities, which is odd since they can come as a kit :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
The springs I bought in my Tokico kit are progressive; that's why I hate them. :)

You have to set them into a corner; sport springs don't do that.

CrystalPistol found the optimal ratio to cut the sport springs for best drop; I went that route. :) (On another car, sport springs and konis on Lazarus.)

I can't remember what it was, but the rear was less than a turn...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So by the charts, it looks like the 0.9" Vogtlands are softer than the 1.75" and may match the Tokico blues better?
Also I have and air wrench and no suspension skills. Is spring and shock/strut replacement very difficult? I think rear shocks are easy.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
So by the charts, it looks like the 0.9" Vogtlands are softer than the 1.75" and may match the Tokico blues better?
Also I have and air wrench and no suspension skills. Is spring and shock/strut replacement very difficult? I think rear shocks are easy.
It's fairly straightforward if your car isn't rusty. When swapping springs, I would highly recommend you take the shock assembly to a shop with a wall mount spring compressor (easiest) if you have a friend who will do it for you (<5min of work). If not, I would recommend you get these from Autozone for free and take your time to remove the spring retaining plate (you don't want to have the top aimed at your body when you undo it unless the compressors are holding the spring so it won't uncompress to it's free length). To be extra paranoid, i also wrap the shock assembly in some scrap carpet just in case a compressor gives out suddenly).
http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/strut-spring-compressor/oem-strut-spring-compressor/555557_0_0/?checkfit=true

-g

1 - 10 of 10 Posts