TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was talking to a friend and he said he would be able to do a swap for me. what would you guys think would be best for a 96 3.8.

99+ 3.8

99+ 4.6

or a 5.0 (cheep and easy to find parts)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
sell it and buy the car you want. it will be cheaper, and much easier.

If you have alot of $$$ into the car (wheels and tires don't count) I suggest the 4.6L PI swap. Needs no more parts than the 4.6L swap, and has alot more power.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but if i do sell my car and get a v-8 it will cost more where i live they are not that many blue t-birds like i have. im not sure how much it will cost to get the PI heads or have them put on but i can get the 99+ 4.6 for around 1500, port and polish the heads and intake and put in for anouther 1000 bucks.

to get a v-8 bird will cost about 1000-1500 more and ill have to take my system out, body kit off ect. so im the long run ill spend about 1000 more and have more power and a newer motor.

if i go with the 99+ 3.8 the motor is 500-800 p and p and put in for a round 1000 bucks and thats still more power then a stock v-8 bird

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Just remember the other stuff for a V6 to a V8 swap... Spring rates, EEC and wire harnes, tranny, etc. All that stuff might add up to be the same as just putting 1000 extra into buying another car with most of it there already.
If you do go for it good luck. Its not a very common swap and it would be interesting to see one swapped but might turn into more money then its worth.

-Shawn

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
short list of things needed besides the engine:

Tranmission: Rebuild to v8 specs, or reman from ford, or one from Dennis. $1200-$1700.
Driveshaft. From any v8 or SC $100 or hi-po from Denny's or Dennis $300-$400 plus $200 install
Gears: 8.8 inch IRS. can get from any V8 or SC mn12. or $200 from ford, and $300-$400 install
Engine Mounts. $100
Engine Harness. from car with correspending engine, $150
EEC (PCM): from car with corrsponding engine, $200
Front springs, or all new ones with lowering $200-$300 plus $150-200 install
V8 radiator: $100 from junkyard.

This is only the big stuff. I bet you'd get 25 there, and $50 over there, for another $300-$500.

SELL YOUR V6. BUY A V8.

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
I've gotta agree with GreenBird. Just sell your V6 vehicle and buy a V8. Just be patient and wait for the right vehicle. You might even be able to get your hands on a Sport version, emphasis on "might".

But if you're just in a swapping mood, I thought I saw someone (PJ-4.2L) who swapped in a 4.2L V6 from a F-150 pickup. This may be a better solution. you might want to contact him about it. Just a suggestion.

It is illegal (at least in Missouri) to install an engine that is older than the chassis. So you would have to find a 5.0L from an Explorer (or other vehicle) and then get it to run as clean as your V6 runs now. The 3.8L V6 also runs the EEC-V computer which requires a crank sensor. A 5.0L V8 can be retrofitted with a crank sensor that replaces the distributor, and also coil packs for the spark plugs. I'm sure there are various other things that I am forgetting, but that's not important right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts