TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I wanted to know how many prototype T birds concepts that actually existed and which one would be the easiest to aquire parts and badging for. I'm aware of Ford's SVE (SVT). There was also an Rousch/ Martin T-Bird that was made as well. Am I missing any others for the 1996-97 body?

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Why are you asking?

·
Registered
780 Posts
There was the nascar prototype. And the AWD Super Coupe. Then the short wheel base cars. Cant think of anymore off the top of my head.

I always was more interested in making clones of the rare cars. Like the 92 sports, the white interior mercury's and SCs, the mystic chrome looking 95s, mexico base v6 manual cars. Ive seen a two right hand drive ones that were conversions. Ones in Australia and another in Mexico.

A RHD white interior AWD Super Coupe would be pretty bitchin imo.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,392 Posts
The SVE was really more of a mule and many claims about its spec are distorted and conflicting (it wasn’t intended to be supercharged, a roots blower was added AFTER the program was cancelled) body mods were mostly mix n match, the most unique part being the 96 style bumper with fog light cutouts, and it’s been speculated that it might have even been two bumper covers grafted together, not a special mold.

Apart from that I don’t really count the SWBs since once again it was sort of a mule development when Ford was toying with the idea of expanding the MN12 to underpin the Mustang before settling on the SN95. The 98 spy shot one is vague at best, it has a pan oval grille(ugly) and 96 Taurus SHO wheels, and some claims leave my head scratching like “improved cupholders” the AWD ones are only visually distinct by the wheels, which resemble SVO or Porsche 928 ones but aren’t either of them, and the rest actual AWD components are pretty much verified to be one offs. Roush/Martin sounds like a dealer special.

There was the nascar prototype. And the AWD Super Coupe. Then the short wheel base cars. Cant think of anymore off the top of my head.

I always was more interested in making clones of the rare cars. Like the 92 sports, the white interior mercury's and SCs, the mystic chrome looking 95s, mexico base v6 manual cars. Ive seen a two right hand drive ones that were conversions. Ones in Australia and another in Mexico.

Mine had the factory white seats

·
Registered
780 Posts
The SVE was really more of a mule and many claims about its spec are distorted and conflicting (it wasn’t intended to be supercharged, a roots blower was added AFTER the program was cancelled) body mods were mostly mix n match, the most unique part being the 96 style bumper with fog light cutouts, and it’s been speculated that it might have even been two bumper covers grafted together, not a special mold.

Apart from that I don’t really count the SWBs since once again it was sort of a mule development when Ford was toying with the idea of expanding the MN12 to underpin the Mustang before settling on the SN95. The 98 spy shot one is vague at best, it has a pan oval grille(ugly) and 96 Taurus SHO wheels, and some claims leave my head scratching like “improved cupholders” the AWD ones are only visually distinct by the wheels, which resemble SVO or Porsche 928 ones but aren’t either of them, and the rest actual AWD components are pretty much verified to be one offs. Roush/Martin sounds like a dealer special.

Mine had the factory white seats

View attachment 41174
Please tell me you still have them and how much you want

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Those white seats are Purdy! I bet they're a b!tch to keep clean though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why are you asking?
I would like to do mine as a clone project. I know I missed the mark on the golden age of mods and accessories for the tenth gen thunderbird but I know I can get most of the look and some of the performance right if I look hard enough.

Looks like you are right about the SVE/ SVT specs. I've seen a couple pictures and information that's conflicting on the actual parts.. even a magazine with parts thats not talked about on this forum. Mostly brakes and one other thing that I can't remember. I'm a old school kind of guy even though I'm 33 hehe. Trying to keep the project as 1990's as possible with some discrete indication mods like scanner and switches.

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
I suppose the easiest prototype would be a 96/97 with a 4.6 SVO / FRPP supercharger. It was more of a "proposal" for a 96 super coupe, the only prototype part on that build was used to make the SVO / FRPP kit for the Mustangs.

On the SVE .. There is the "concept" which is the magazine article.

There have been several "clone" attempts based on variations over the years including my own.

The actual test mules which were 95's with Eibach springs, T45 transmission and a 4.6 DOHC which I am near convinced was a 97 Mark 8 / Cobra variant style manifold ( there was a prototype of this engine in 95 )

Then there is the car that made the 97 Hot Rod power tour owned by the guy in charge of SVE at that time .. Same deal except it had the body package and a prototype 4.6 DOHC with the chrome valve covers and M90 supercharger.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose the easiest prototype would be a 96/97 with a 4.6 SVO / FRPP supercharger. It was more of a "proposal" for a 96 super coupe, the only prototype part on that build was used to make the SVO / FRPP kit for the Mustangs.

On the SVE .. There is the "concept" which is the magazine article.

There have been several "clone" attempts based on variations over the years including my own.

The actual test mules which were 95's with Eibach springs, T45 transmission and a 4.6 DOHC which I am near convinced was a 97 Mark 8 / Cobra variant style manifold ( there was a prototype of this engine in 95 )

Then there is the car that made the 97 Hot Rod power tour owned by the guy in charge of SVE at that time .. Same deal except it had the body package and a prototype 4.6 DOHC with the chrome valve covers and M90 supercharger.
Ah I see now. There were variants of the proposed 98 SVT T-Bird. the magazine proposal, the 4 concepts that were built, and the hot rod from the tour... To note SVE was a division like gm's SVE... I almost thought they were the same until I realized that gm's SVE was originally SLP....

The SVE concepts had cobra badging on the wheels but don't know exactly where on the vehicle badging might have existed.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,392 Posts
Like said, it didn’t. If the car made production it wouldn’t have had badges that said SVE, and with only a few details known about it you can be creative with your interpretation. Draw inspiration from the Mustang Cobras of the era, different hood, different front bumper cover, “Cobra” embossed rear bumper cover, different wheels and white faced gauges.

Funny enough the Motortrend drawing only really has the fog light bumper cover close to the “SVE”, elsewhere it has 96-97 cladding, but 94-95 headlights and door handles, bodykit looks like an amalgamation of kits that were available for these at the time, and It’s unknown whether or not they would have used a bodykit at all

This one was probably the most visually influenced tribute of the SVE I have seen, though it’s a 91 down to the dash and window trim. I heard a rumor some parts came from the real one, it had a 160mph speedometer and a 8K tachometer that never existed in production. The spoiler is from a gen II Taurus SHO

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like said, it didn’t. If the car made production it wouldn’t have had badges that said SVE, and with only a few details known about it you can be creative with your interpretation. Draw inspiration from the Mustang Cobras of the era, different hood, different front bumper cover, “Cobra” embossed rear bumper cover, different wheels and white faced gauges.

Funny enough the Motortrend drawing only really has the fog light bumper cover close to the “SVE”, elsewhere it has 96-97 cladding, but 94-95 headlights and door handles, bodykit looks like an amalgamation of kits that were available for these at the time, and It’s unknown whether or not they would have used a bodykit at all

This one was probably the most visually influenced tribute of the SVE I have seen, though it’s a 91 down to the dash and window trim. I heard a rumor some parts came from the real one, it had a 160mph speedometer and a 8K tachometer that never existed in production. The spoiler is from a gen II Taurus SHO

View attachment 41180
That reminds me.. is there an aftermarket speedometer or an oem ford model car with an higher mph guage that's close in appearance to the 96/97 bird?

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,498 Posts
The 96 and the 97 speedometer are 2 different animals.

It's early so I hope I get this right! On the 96 a 145 mph SC speedometer has been swapped, on the 97 a 160 mph(?) SHO has been swapped, not sure of what year cars they came out of.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,938 Posts
Here's what I did to my 97.

Nothing against Scott, but I am such a perfectionist that some of the inherent drawbacks to enthusiast-made custom gauge faces just never blended well with me. I ditched the couple sets I tried after weeks and went this route.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's what I did to my 97.

Nothing against Scott, but I am such a perfectionist that some of the inherent drawbacks to enthusiast-made custom gauge faces just never blended well with me. I ditched the couple sets I tried after weeks and went this route.

maybe it was an open ended upgrade that never came to be.
A friend has a white leather interior in her Model X and three small kids. I have no idea why.
Lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts