TCCoA Forums banner

What the crap...?

2K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  GODSPEED 
#1 ·
So I get home from a weekend at my girl's place...I drove my truck cause the bird is down with no a/c and suspension problems. Anyway, I get home, park the truck and get out. I hear a loud humming, thought it was the a/c unit next door or something. The closer I get to the Bird, the louder it gets, and I realize it's coming from under the hood. I get the keys, pop the hood and disconnect the battery. That stopped it, I hook up the battery and it starts again. I just left it unhooked. Anyway it's coming from the drivers side, like below the battery/coolant tank. Any ideas? What the crap?... The car has been off all weekend, wasn't on at all and this humming is going on. ??? I'll know more tomorrow, but as for now, I'm clueless. Anyone have an idea?

-Joel

#3 ·
look at the abs pump or something?

#5 ·
Did you check out how much it was to fix? I drive my car in the winter, and sometimes the traction control is a good thing. Is it a blown fuse, or the motor is bad?

-Joel

#6 ·
I pulled the fuse for "anti lock" under the dash, and it didnt fix the problem. It still goes when I hook up the battery. Am I pulling the right fuse or are they under the hood? It's definately a brakes problem, I tried to back up the car and the brake pedal is going crazy when I pressed it down. Any more help?

-Joel

#10 ·
Pulled 6fl, and it stopped. I'll look into the relays now I guess? See if that does it.

-Joel

#13 ·
There wont be any problems with having the ABS off. One van I know of has been without for about 3 years now.

#14 ·
The exact thing happened to my 97. I removed the fuse and drove around like that for a while, about a month. Then I put the fuse back and it has been fine since. If you don't want to take a month, take it to a car wash and hose out where the ABS sensor is. If that don't work, drive it with out the ABS until you save up the $250 for the new pump.

#15 ·
#18 ·
I don't have abs, and my brakes are great...

I've redone the red Cougar with ceramic pads, on new rotors, and semi-met on the black car; The only diff is the ceramic pads work better when hot, and dont fade...

One of the calipers on the black car is an abs caliper, doesn't feel any different.

$2500? Man, I only paid $2900 for my red car... I'd be learning "manual abs" :eek:

#19 ·
The actual braking isn't what I'm worried about, it's the Traction Control. It's saved me a few times. I think it might just be a relay, I'll probly get it replaced in the next week or so, just havent had time lately to work on it. If it isnt the relay, then the whole abs system is coming out. I'm allready looking for another car for a DD so I can start hoppin up the Bird...might just keep saving for another year and get a Mk8 or a LS.

-Joel

#20 ·
Who needs traction control. Ive never had it and the highways here turn to **** in the winter. But, if it is just a relay that would be a damn good thing instead of having to replace the unit.

#21 ·
I dont need traction control, I want it.

-Joel

#22 ·
Any pick-a-parts where you are? Might be worth callin around if it isnt the relay. Prob save you alot of money.

#23 ·
OK, got some used relays from a yard, didnt fix the problem. ABS motor still runs all the time. Any other options I can check?

-Joel

#25 ·
Where is the module and how do I destroy...er replace it.

-Joel

#26 ·
do you really need the abs? if not just pull out the fused for the abs motor and diasable it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.