TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
yeah i know - doesn't make sense>

so i did the long overdue replacement of the cats (one cat has been giving me the "efficiency below thershold" code for about 2 yrs now, and i went ahead and got the whole direct fit Y pipe thing replaced with new cats and new O2 sensors -front O2's, that is).
This is the 2nd "repair" of any kind i have done on this car - 1st one was getting the aluminum crossover intake as a precaution.

at the same time i told the guy (former Ford master tech) to check under the car and see if ANY suspension parts need replacing/repairing (car has 127 k miles); he said he checked all that, and everything checked out fine - my car is gently driven. He did mention that they checked the alignment and tires... but didn;t mention adjusting anything - certainly was not charged for anything...

So car feels great now, EXCEPT HARSH RIDE !!!! I felt it AS SOON AS I drove off after getting the car back.
I KNOW - i am not psycho - idk why the hell this should happen, but it feels like it has no shocks (they're there - i checked LOL) - jarring ride over even the smallest stuff, like white arrows on the road, i mean HARSH - no funny noises or anything, but man you FEEL it. it's BOUNCY!
This car has the sports suspension, but i can never remember it being this "solid" and harsh...
They did NOT do anything to the suspension... could they have needed ANY fooling with the suspension to replace the Y pipe/cats? probably not, huh?

what could have happened? did they perhaps put some air in the tires and overinflated them? That's the only thing i can think of - didn't get a chance to see how much air in them yet.... (I normally run 33 PSI) They do the full check up when a car is brought to them for the 1st time... and I do remember him saying we checked out everything under car including the TIRES ....

I am baffled, and i don't wanna sound like an idiot and call them and ask "hey did you put air in the tires?"

what could have happened?
could my shocks finally have given up RIGHT WHEN i got the car back ??? heck of a coincidence I'd think...

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
unless you have a broken shock, they usually just don't break.
they would wear out over time.

now, you could possibly have a broken spring.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
Now a broken spring should be pretty visible, right? Gonna check right now.

·
Super Moderator
7,682 Posts
You wouldn't necessarily be able to see the spring broken, but it would cause one corner of the car to sit lower than the rest.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can't see anything abnormal - car sits straight and even.

something tells me it's the tire pressure...
I do have the 235/60/16 tires, so i guess over inflation can be more dramatic than with stock 225/60/16 size (?) ....
gotta go and check the tire pressure as soon as rain stops...

thanks guys...will update.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well, I bit the bullet and called the place: he says they checked the suspension for looseness in any joints/parts but didn't find anything amiss - so they didn't really tighten anything OR add air to tires as far as he knows !!!

WHAT in the world !! I mean I KNOW my car so well, and it was not BOUNCY like this!

Now, the other possibility is that my front shocks kicked the bucket JUST when I drove home and they need replacing now.... but how bizarre is THAT? .wouldn't they have seen THAT when they were checking under car?

is this all in my head?

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I run into something like your issue but not the same , I got my exhaust put in and when I drove off my drive shaft was rubbing . I know they didn't mess with the shaft but I am rubbing now .

Fun stuff ha ?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Before I fell in love with mn12s I had a friend with an 89 sc that had some kind of ride stiffening button, "normal" and "sport"
Do sport models have this feature?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. They don't. They just have stiffer springs/shocks, but not THIS stiff....

I wonder if one of the guys working there, unawares to the "main" guy did tighten some stuff or add air to tires...??? I guess I'll have to check tire pressure anyways.

·
Registered
250 Posts
not sure how clean you keep your under carriage but look at your shock bolts, endlink bolts, all of them, see if they look cleaner than surrounding parts like buildup of road gunk has been recently knocked off of them from a socket or wrench. check the bushings they shouldn't be smashed wider than the washers.. i don't think i've heard of a shock just up and kick the bucket in less a major hit was taken to it. any sqeeks, clunks, rattles, any noises?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No noises of any kind - not even when i go over some rough spot and notice the harshness/bouncy-ness...
i am not sure it's a BAD difference that i am noticing - it sure is very DIFFERENT - and a bit too solid/stiff or something. and i feel even the slightest uneven spot as if it was a speed bump - well that's exaggerated, but u know...

will check what you suggested as soon as damn storm stops. Thanks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
try quickly pushing down on the car on each corner with as much body weight as you can and quickly let off see if there's a corner that's noticeably stiffer. unless your like 100lbs lol you should be able to push the car down a little..i dunno.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i weigh 122 lbs :(

·
Registered
663 Posts
i weigh 122 lbs :(
Yay I'm not the smalest guy here lol I'm a buck thirty.. You should still be able to move it, it won't bounce off the bump stops but it'll move. And hey, you don't have to worry about denting your hood!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
hey guys, someone that i know had this to say ... Is this possible at all?

If it was put on a lift where the wheels hang suspended, perhaps it did "finish off" one or more of the shock/struts by expanding them fully for a time and then compressing them when the car was lowered.
in the worst case, I had already secured a pair of low-mile front sport shocks from someone here about an year ago... i guess i can have them put those on, huh? maybe it's time for shocks anyway ????

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I sure will. thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts