TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My windshield wipers will NOT work, when I turn them on, until I reach down under the dash and give the fuse panel a slight hit with my open palm. Today, they've started to quit working as they are about 3/4 of the way back down, before starting another wipe. If I hit the fuse panel again, they'll start another cycle, before quitting again.

Is there a circuit breaker in the fuse panel for the wipers? I looked at my owner's manual, but it doesn't show one.

Any ideas?

Dennis

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sounds to me like you may have a loose wire, bad relay or a short in the panel itself remember check your fuse first.... Check power at white wire from the speed relay to the wiper motor then the dark green from the panel to the wiper motor from 30amp fuse. Also check for voltage at dark blue and Orange wire. If none of the above control module is prolly dead but you must check for voltage. The black wire will be ground.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The module that controls the wipers is attached to the fuse box. If hitting it makes it work it'd be my first suspect as jarring the fuse box will jar that. The box could simply be partially loose
Nevermind.

-g

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,262 Posts
Why do you need W/S wipers in AZ?

Your in the desert, no rain.
:tongue:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The module that controls the wipers is attached to the fuse box. If hitting it makes it work it'd be my first suspect as jarring the fuse box will jar that. The box could simply be partially loose
Wow! I'm not sure what planet I've been living on for nearly the last year, but I was researching this issue yesterday (I'm still having it), and I came to the conclusion it's related to my integrated control module.

I see you told me this only, like, almost a YEAR ago!! :)

Dennis

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I am having a similar issue with our 2004 Crown Vic. The wipers stop right where you shut them off. Takes several tries to get them to land in the down position.

Also, the only position that works is "high". When the intermittent position did work, it took real long between wipes. Sound like the multi-function switch?

Recently replaced the wiper motor.

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
O.K., last week I made sure the integrated control module was firmly seated in the fuse panel, and I made sure both connectors on top were firmly plugged into the top of it (I thought I heard a slight click), and - I returned to Phoenix several days later, after having been on the road, and I got in my car, started it up, and tried the wipers. They didn't work. So, I'm assuming I'm going to need to replace that integrated control module.

I'm also assuming that's no longer available new, and that I'll have to get one from a junkyard?

Dennis

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I had a pin in the connector going into the ICM that was badly corroded, I tried all kinds of stuff before I finally figured it out. Might be something to check. It was odd on my car because it has no corrosion anywhere else, not even any other pins in that connector.

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
The wipers stop right where you shut them off.
Takes several tries to get them to land in the down position.

Also, the only position that works is "high".

Recently replaced the wiper motor.

Thanks,
Al
That sounds like the motor; the "home function" is usually a contact on the motor that only works during part of a rotation.

BUT; it could be the wire that gets connected to it to do this.

There are separate windings to do speeds; I bet you have wiring issues, or the MFS is bad.

I've never lost those contacts on the MFS, but the ones you never use are the ones that go bad...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That sounds like the motor; the "home function" is usually a contact on the motor that only works during part of a rotation.

BUT; it could be the wire that gets connected to it to do this.

There are separate windings to do speeds; I bet you have wiring issues, or the MFS is bad.

I've never lost those contacts on the MFS, but the ones you never use are the ones that go bad...
Yeah, I would replace the multi-function switch. I just noticed yesterday the brand-new Motorcraft part is only $17.61 at RockAuto!

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
The think to watch when you have MFS problems is making sure you have brake lights, those go thru there too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts