TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i have a strange one for ya guys. i was sitting at a red light and my car starting shaking but it wasnt missing or anything. i turned my radio down to listen for any abnormal sounds and it was just quiet. i poped the hood to check for a vacum leak, nothing there. im at a loss as to what it could be. it still has good acceleration, it shook goin up a steep hill but other than that it only shook at the light. any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
Clean the MAF.

Have you changed the plugs recently? May be they need to be changed. Make sure you get the right kind and gap them correctly.
Oil?
Plug wires?
Air filter?

Start with the basics.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe cleaning the maf will work, but dont have the right tools to take it apart to clean it the right way. the plugs, plug wires and air filter are bout 4 months old. oil was changed about a month ago.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think i found the problem, two of my plug wires got cut by the serpitine belt. so it was miss firing, but oddly it never sounded like it was. i tried cleaning the maf but doubt it did any good

·
Super Moderator
11,871 Posts
Glad you found the problem. If you cleaned the MAF right and it was dirty believe me, it helped.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
take you some electrical cleaner and spray it then use the qtip to gently rub the dirt off. I use a top to bottom around the wires. Never go across it from side to side. The tiny wires are wrapped around the cylinder between the 2 pins and you might damage the thin strip of wire.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont have any electrical cleaner, really dont wanna buy any just for this one job. anything else i can try

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was thinking it costs more, but with moving in a couple of months i think im gonna leave it alone. im goin to be sellin the cougar, might get me a t-bird later on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
MAF Cleaner

You can't go wrong with this. It's only 6.99 at Kragen/O'Reilly. Made my car run a HELL of lot better.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yeah! That CRC is some good stuff!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I bought that CRC cleaner and would never look back. I have used it 3 times so far in the almost year that I have owned my bird. Cleaned it out yesterday and reset the computer to resolve a REALLY nasty ping I had. Doesnt ping any more.

·
Registered
170 Posts
sounded like you didnt have long-term plans to keep the car
X2 , My thoughts exactly. Not wanting to spend 5 bucks on some good MAF or electrical cleaner to keep or make your car run better only seems like you're trying to do enough to keep the car running enough 'till you dump it. Not saying your car is a POS or thats whats you're going to do, thats just how it's coming off to me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
CRC MAF Cleaner

Of course the proper, and only way in my opinon, to clean the MAF is to remove it. Yes this requires a special torx tool(with the hole in it, I forget what size, T-10 or T-15). You can get one from Sears included in a small tool (screwdriver) kit for abot $20. Well worth it for all the other inserts.
When I bought my car a few months ago, it was knocking bad at take-off. I pulled the MAF and it looked like this:

After I cleaned it with the CRC cleaner it looked like this:

The Knock is gone and the car runs great! You can get at least 3 cleanings out of 1 can, which should last 1-2 years. Definitely worth the 6.99 and the tool to do your car a favor.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts